Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 12:52 AM

Default 40-80 river decision

Playing 40-80 at the Commerce I'm dealt black aces in the cutoff. Two limpers to me and I raise. Folded to big blind
(a good, thinking player) who calls as do the limpers. Four see this flop:

10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to me and I bet. BB calls and one limper stays in. Turn is:

[10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Checked to me and I bet. Only the BB calls. River is:

[10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Checked to me. Would you bet?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 AM

Default Re: 40-80 river decision

"Checked to me. Would you bet?"

yes definitely bet mike. the more important question is whether or not you should call a checkraise.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 AM

bet almost always can't see anyone with a 10 checking it flop,turn and river. Only thing that might get there is AQ. How's the action been with the WPT in town at the Bike.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:38 AM

in situations like these i always ask myself before the river even falls "if he checks and i bet can i call a c-r?"

there are many hands he can think you have, and he has thus made it very difficult to put him on a hand by check calling. when i played against other known good players heads up their line against me seems to include either very aggressive or very passive. on the passive side they usually have some combination of back door draws and possible best hands just waiting to either c-r the turn if he hits his b-d possibility (as a semibluff) or calling to hit and or bluff the river with a bet intending to fold to the raise or c-r as a bluff and or value bet. these options are what a good player uses against another good player.

in this case i think its necessary to bet the river b/c there are many hands he will call with. but he could also be using the call the turn in order to fold the river or c-r the river line but he called w/ no intention of betting the river. if he checkraises here, with this board, its a difficult call and the odds will be close either way so against him i think you must call and be prepared to be shown either a bluff or a boat, but nothing that has calling value.

so in conclusion, bet the river, call the raise if it comes....this time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] next time, who knows...

-Barron
Old 08-29-2004, 03:14 AM

I can answer this one...insane. I went to the Bike Fri night and valet was full, parking was a nightmare...rather than hover for a spot, I drove over to Commerce where things were not as ridiculous, but the poker age is alive and well...put your name on the board and take a seat...
Old 08-29-2004, 03:42 AM

"can't see anyone with a 10 checking it flop,turn and river."

wouldnt be at all strange in the commerce 40-80. checking trips until the river and then checkraising is not abnormal in that game.

a more interesting question would be should mike call if he's checkraised on the river. that would also help him decide if he should just check the river.

as for the bike i heard later the best they had was a 40-80 so im glad i didnt go.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: 40-80 river decision--results

This hand occurred at the Commerce.

I bet the river and was check-raised. I should have folded this but didn't and I was shown Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 08-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Bet the river. Call a raise, if it comes (but I don't think it will).
Old 08-29-2004, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wouldnt be at all strange in the commerce 40-80. checking trips until the river and then checkraising is not abnormal in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I think it is because people are less likely to miss bets on the river in that game.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:59 PM

hmm those aggro asian guys really would check 3 10's on every street? I'm sure once in a blue moon but most of the 30/60 I've played at Hawaiian none of the crazy asian men or women (even crazier) check it 3 times.

Er I figured mikelow posted this because he was somehow beat by some straight AQ was my first guess probably Q9 was second. Typical loose LA types I guess