Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Bellagio 15/30

This is Bellagio 15/30 last Sat night. My first pokertrip to Vegas and of course had a blast. Played the Bellagio 8/16, then the Mirage 10/20 and finally B 15/30. Nice rooms both. Here's a hand I played against a quite loose and somewhat aggressive opponent (semi-LAG).

Semi-LAG in lp limps first in, I'm next to act and raise with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls and the LAG calls.

Flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB checks, LAG bets, I raise, BB folds and now LAG makes it 3, I just call. Although I call my opponent LAG, I'd never seen him 3-bet the flop before but the board is draw heavy so who knows.

Turn is 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], LAG bets and I call.

River is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], same action.

How did I do? It occurred to me to raise the turn as he certainly could have something like J9, T9s, 89s etc but at the same time he could have some two pair combo.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15/30

I would raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Yes, if I raise the turn I put myself in the situation of having to fold to a 3 bet, however I'm not a fan of folding top pair. In my usual game, Party 10/20 6 max, people have no problem betting/raising/capping with a draw regardless of odds/equity in the pot. This is why raising may be dangerous when you plan to fold to a 3 bet.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Results

My opponent had T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and MHIG, it feels fishy that I allowed him to grab control of the hand but could I have done anything else?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 AM

I'm not too big of a fan of a "raise the turn, fold to a 3-bet" line because for the same price you could have seen the showdown at the river and get a line on his play. Note that the loose aggressive player in this hand not only had an open-ender, but got even more outs on the turn with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush draw. He could conceivably 3-bet the turn on that potential alone, and you'd fold the winning hand.

The only benefit is the case you have here: he has 9 and perhaps a piece of it, and you charge him double for his draw. Otherwise, he might actually have a good hand like 2 pair or a set, straight or less likely AJ, and you're charging yourself extra for drawing out on him...if you can!

Garland
Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 AM

You say he's a maniac? Raise the river and call a 3-bet.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 AM

Never said he was a maniac and raising the river may be the worst possible decision as the draw either made it or not or I'm was behind all along and I'm throwing chips away.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:42 AM

I'm not a fan of raise and fold to a three-bet because opponents are always raising and three-betting with 1 pair/draw combos. I raise the turn here almost every time - most people won't three-bet the flop with the 2 pair, they'll wait to check-raise you on the turn.
-James