Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Party 3/6: Coldcalling with AQs...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

MP3 is a 2+2er. No solid reads on the blinds, but neither seemed overly loose.

Preflop: chesspain is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, chesspain calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls. <font color="blue">Am I in raise-or-fold territory here? </font>

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, chesspain checks.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.66 BB, between chesspain and BB.</font>
Old 08-17-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Party 3/6: Coldcalling with AQs...

Am I in raise-or-fold territory here?

No, you are 3-bet territory. Your MP3 2+2er should have a wide enough range of hands open-raising 2 off the button for you to have an easy 3-bet here.

Not to sure what to say about the postflop, other than you can more credibly represent a K by 3-bettign preflop (and the pot wouldn't be that much bigger if the BB folds, so the pot doesn't become so big as to marginalize any postflop bluff attempt).

Either way, given the 2 flush and your coldcall preflop, I don't think you win this before a showdown very often, but you do get there cheaper using your line.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:41 PM

bleh. easy 3-bet PF. You liked your hand good enough to raise him on a K-high flop with no pair and another player in the pot, why dont you like your hand enough to take control PF?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:43 PM

3-bet preflop.

I don't really understand the flop raise or turn bet.

Lost Wages
Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 PM

i 3-bet this PF in a heartbeat also.

the only time i MIGHT not 3-bet this is if i have p-tracker exported notes on the guy and i know he raises less than 2%....indicating that he doesn't even raise enough to occasionally steal the blinds.

the fact that it's a 2+2'er makes re-raising a good play because (as mentioned before) you know there is a wider-range of hands that he will open the betting with for a raise from this position.

the 3-bet hopefully isolates him so you stand a decent chance of winning the pot unimproved.
with one of the blinds feeling tagging-along your unimproved AQ is less likely to take it.

get this bad-boy heads-up!!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Results and thoughts....

BB showed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and MHIG.

In the brief amount of time I had to make my preflop decision, I chose to only coldcall because:

1) The blinds were relatively tight players, so I knew SB's decision to raise/call/fold would probably not be affected by my decision. Furthermore, since BB was fairly tight as well, he would likely fold most hands anyway, although he would be more likely to call with a PP for one bet rather than two more (not great for me, but not terrible), as well as with a dominated ace or queen for only one more bet (great for me).

2) Since MP2 knows me, my coldcall with position on him should look suspicious enough to him to buy me control over the hand if the flop misses him or contains overcards. Furthermore, coldcalling helps me to avoid having to call a three-bet.

3) A coldcall disguises my hand to MP3 a little better than a three-bet (or does it?)

4) Since my cards are suited, it is not a catastrophe if I don't get it heads up before the flop.

On the flop, once BB checks and MP3 autobets, I raise in order to put pressure on MP3 to fold by the turn if can't beat kings. On the turn, I think that betting is fairly clearcut, since I have to either charge BB for his draw or give him the opportunity to fold a small pair. Of course, once he calls the turn, there is no value in betting that river, since if he holds a small pair he won't be folding it.

Feel free to flame me if any of the above makes no sense.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts....

AQs is a strong hand against a 2+2ers MP3 openraise, so 3bet it. Letting the BB in doesn´t help you.

I think the postflop may be ok, as 2+2er often will put you on KQ here, but really 3bet preflop and take it down with a bet on the flop.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts....

[ QUOTE ]
3) A coldcall disguises my hand to MP3 a little better than a three-bet (or does it?)

[/ QUOTE ]

i like some of your other logic.
but this one i think i disagree with. a lot of players routinely limp with AA or AK or whatever to 'disguise' their hand. and i just don't like it.

cold-calling here allows even tight-blinds to take a stab at it.
3-betting really forces them.
the BB only has to call 1BB to stay in afterall.

instead of disguising i would just 3-bet which is saying 'take that!!'
since he knows your a 2+2'er it should gain immediate respect and you should have a good chance of taking it on the flop instead of not knowing where you stand AND giving him a chance to catch a 3.

if he is raising a hand like 88 here and the flop comes down K92 (or even K62) it is possible you'll wish you had scared him more with a PF 3-bet (and you'll definitely wish you had knocked out the blinds).

this is all just thinking out loud though.
some of your other ideas seem perfectly valid to me for this situation.