Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Tobey Maguire

The guy is making it deep in the events at the Legends of Poker (The Bike). He must be pretty decent. Anyone played with him before?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Tobey Maguire

Played in the same event on Wednesday ($500 NL with one $500 rebuy). There were about 350 entrants. I was sitting right next to him, but at different tables. I watched a few of his hands and he seemed to know what he was doing and had a good table image. When we got into the money (with 3 tables left) they redrew seats and we still didn't sit together. We both made it to the final two when they broke his table, but he again didn't make it to my table. Unfortunately neither of us made it to the final table (he was out in 17th and I went out in 12th) so I didn't play with him, but he certainly seemed to know what he was doing. It was a tough field and everyone who made it that far knew what they were doing. I'll probably post today in the multi-table forum about the experience and some of my hands. One of the hardest part of these one day tournaments is keeping your focus. The tournament started at 7:15pm and didn't end for me until about 6:30am. The tournament probably didn't end until 9am or so. It is extremely difficult to stay tuned into every hand in the middle of the night; especially if you don't prepare for the all nighter by sleeping late the morning before -- which I certainly did not do.

So in summary, he appears to be a strong player. I've played with James Woods in the past and he can play poker too.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Tobey Maguire

I played with him for 5 hours of the Monday $ 1000 Mirage Tourn. I Sat on his direct right. He plays a solid tight game, then just seems to make a wacky decision to gamble or bluff out of position. First one worked out when hit hit bottom pair of a flop with a gut straight draw from ealry postition and just moved in with a fairly small stack into a feild of 4. Got called by an over pair and Got lucky and Made Quads running. Busted out making a bad call from the BB with j8o into a small raise. Called the raise heads up, hit two pair on J,8,7 flop. I think he bet first and got raised all in and called into a set of 8's. Overall he looks like he has a solid game, very nice guy at the table. Did not even recognize him until about 45 mins into tourn when he talked. He must be doing somethin right because he made the money the following two days and in some of the bike events.