Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Quickie river play

Converter no work, me post old school. Party 3/6. Every flop UTG+1 limps, I limp in the CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Should have raised. Blinds call. SB is non-memorable, BB calls too much, plays too many hands. BB and UTG+1 are clearly feeding the table.

4 to the flop for 4 SBs. Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, I raise, all call.

4 to the turn for 6 BBs. Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, all call.

4 to the river for 10 BBs. River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB bets, UTG+1 calls, I think and then raise...

How did I do?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Quickie river play

I don't like to raise 2 pair against a calling player that comes alive at the river when a straight or flush or paired board hits. In this case the river made a straight and a flush possible. Did he show you 76?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think and then raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
BB and UTG+1 are clearly feeding the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel inclined to feed BB? I think raising here is awfully bad if a calling station like BB all of a sudden comes to life on a river card that makes both a straight and a flush. Are you planning to lay down to a 3-bet? I'd just call here.

Garland
Old 08-12-2004, 09:34 PM

I didn't say the BB was a calling station. I said he calls too much and plays too many hands. I didn't characterize him as passive either. He will bet his hands.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:40 PM

I wouldn't have done it for the same reason other posters mention. Still, I am trying to think about what you were thinking about. Here's a go at it: You are not really so concerned about the big straights b/c you would have heard more about it on the turn. So you conclude that all you were really fighting here was a backdoor straight or a backdoor flush. Sure is possible with these jokers, but you decide to raise for value b/c there is a decent enough chance that your top two are goot here. You also feel that you will get all stations to call if they even remotely got a peice of the board. You do not fear a 3bet, cuzz these morons will be scared of a higher straight or flush if they really do have a hand. This just a stab at your thought process for kicks. Maybe off target. I think you won this hand and really had a good time with it. Now, would I still do this play?... I don't think so b/c I do not think your hand will be good often enough to make this value raise.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 PM

When he bets out, instead of checkraising, it seems more like he just made two pair. I think that your raise here is fine, as long as you can lay down to a three bet.

I raise the river and fold for one more bet. They look at me as if I'm from Mars.....
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB calls too much

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I equated "calls too much" to calling station, and you didn't characterize passive vs. aggressive, so I assumed passive that naturally follows from calling too much.

Still, what hands do you think he'll bet out on the river now that you beat at this point? My best guess on your logic is that he was in BB in an unraised pot and has a random hand that likely made two pair. Still it's a bit risky, and I'd only make this move if you're willing to lay down to 3.

Garland
Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 PM

I like it, and I think you would have to call a 3-bet as it could be 2 pair.

The only hand to really worry about is a backdoor flush which many people would check-raise.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:16 AM

OK I'll bite - why should you have raised w/ JTo in this situation?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Results

I thought the river raise was close. I figured that the BB was more likely to betting some sort of rivered 2 pair than a backdoor flush or straight. I didn't think the BB would 3-bet the river without a flush, so that gave me a little protection. That plus it was likely that UTG+1 would call the raise, giving me a bit room to be wrong. If the SB calls 2 all the better.

As it went down, SB checks, BB bets, UTG+1 calls, I raise, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds. BB has J4o and MHIG.