Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 10:22 PM

Default biggest laydown I\'ve made in a while

UB .50/1 NL, I'm in CO w/ red fives.
folds MP (160+) limps, I (~100) limp, BB (~$25) checks.
Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets 3.50 (autobets pot), MP smooth calls, I raise the pot, since its too coordinated for my tastes, so I raise it to 14 more.
EP folds. MP reraises (!), makes it 35 for me to call. he has me covered. I fold. Thoughts?

mine:
<font color="white"> The only hand I have beat is 97, and it still has outs on me. He probably has 68, maybe 77 or 99. in any case, on a board like that facing a slow play from the only bigger stack, my hand looks less appetizing. FWIW, I asked him what he had later, but he said he didnt remember, of course. Shortly after that he started to run over the table, which makes me think I might have been wrong. Help is much appreciated. </font>
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: biggest laydown I\'ve made in a while

You have given not much info about the opponent. Since is MP limping, the most probable hand he could reraise you with is another set. An overpair wouldnīt have limped in normally but raised pre-flop. But without reads it is difficult to say. I guess u had made a good fold if you donīt think in terms of the opponent but just the cards. A higher set would kill u here.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:57 PM

This is pretty tough to laydown. To me, his bet is right out of Super/System and screams flush draw. Maybe I'm thinking this because it's exactly what Gavin Griffin did at the WSOP PL HE championship with a draw. I think if you're playing 55, you're going to have to pray you don't lose set over set. If you're scared of another set here, I don't think you should be playing 55. I probably push and hope for the best.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 AM

Probably a good fold. Best case scenario (assuming he's not just totally bluffing) is that he has an overpair, or a straight or flush draw. To be honest, my read on him here is open-ended straight draw or flush draw. I see that kind of betting with those hands *all the time* online. Worst case scenario is higher set. Made straight is also bad but you have more outs against that whereas you'd need quads to beat 77 or 99 here. Unfortunately for you, that reraise is exactly what a set or made straight would do here with this kind of board (straight not so much but he still has to worry about his hand being counterfeited or the flush being made). I would probably push here but there are better places for you to go to the felt with trip 5s (i.e. against someone with two pair or TPTK).
Old 08-12-2004, 03:16 AM

Personally I am not folding here. He could have another set, but I think overall it is probably more likely that he has a flush draw, or maybe 2 pair. Set over set doesn't happen often, so if you play a small pair and flop the set, get the money in and hope for the best... (unless stacks are VERY DEEP)

Sly
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM

Ya, I dont know that I could fold this unless I knew the guy to be pretty tight and passive without huge hands. Even then, its supremely hard to fold a set. Im not sure what the guy was talking about when he said that you probably made a good laydown, and then went on to say he thought your opponent was on a straight or flush draw. Anyway, if he is at all-aggressive, Im pushing here without hesitation. If the board is less threatening, I call, wait for him to make a pot-committing bet on the turn and then push.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 AM

I'd push, too. A lot of people will make this play with two overcards and a flush draw, thinking that, though they're behind, they have 15 good outs over top pair on the board. At the .50/1 level on UB (which I've played a fair amount), your hand is good often enough to cover the times you do lose to set over set or a made straight.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:24 PM

thanks for the replies. A lot of you said you think he is on a draw, and while I have seen big raises with draws before, that usually happens when it is the first raise, not a reraise like that.
MP smooth called a pot sized bet, then when I raised the full pot, he *reraised* huge. If he had position on me, adn there was no 3rd player, and the stacks were shorter, a raise with a flush draw makes sense. when EP bet the pot, and he smooth called, it seemed like a slowplay was possible. when I raised the whole pot, the reraise to me does not seem like a draw at all. I think the only real possibilities are 97, 86, 99, 77, or maybe an oddly slowplayed overpair (but most likely only AA or KK, anything smaller he probably would have raised on the flop). I guess 8T of clubs is possible too, but it'd be a weird play.