Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 02:00 PM

Default It\'s on- Sly\'s $1500/ 2 day personal challenge

OK, I'm going for it.... we'll see how this goes. 200-max and below NL. I'll post occasional updates here. I think I can pull this off if I flop a set every time I get a pocket pair [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'll be posting updates here from time to time.

Sly
Old 08-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: It\'s on- Sly\'s $1500/ 2 day personal challenge

I missed the memo. Any details on the challenge? Either way, good luck.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Jordan,

I am going to attempt to make $1500 over the next 2-days, multi-tabling at prima tables, $200 max and below. We'll see how it goes, I may throw in a little 6-max, or a multi-table tourney to blend it up, but this will be mostly full ring. Can I do it? I dont know, but it should be fun to try.

Sly
Old 08-05-2004, 04:04 PM

Go for it. Wish you all the best . I'll see you on tonight.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:19 PM

Default UPDATE 1: NOT SO HOT

Ok, I am about 2 hours in and I am up about $2!!! I finally have built a semi-decent stack at one table, but that's it. Hopefully things will turn around soon. I have had no action on premium pairs, and no flopped sets yet, which are probably my biggest moneymaker.

Sly
Old 08-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Update 2: I suck!!

I suck at poker... down $135.72 after 4 hours of 3 tabling. I have flopped one set in all those hands, (I've seen the flop every time I've had a pocket pair due to few PF raises). Cards cold, bad play too, not a good combo. If I had a dollar for everytime I'd been dealt 72o today I could retire. OK, I am rambling on like a whiny little bitch so before I pull I "Hellmuth" I am going to get going and take a dinner break.

Sly
Old 08-06-2004, 02:37 AM

Default UPDATE 3:

I am officially in the worst slump of my poker career. I need to stop for the night before it gets worse. This is a nasty 3 day skid where I have dropped $1700, all but $500 of this at 200 max. I cant put a finger on what is wrong, I know I am running bad, but I must not be playing right either. I will quit trying to make this stupid 2 day goal so that I dont tilt away everything I have left.

Sly
Old 08-06-2004, 02:59 AM

Default Re: UPDATE 3:

"Courage does not only roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Unknown

Good move. Take that 2-day challenge when you're running hot =)
Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 AM

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Sometimes setting goals and being so results oriented can work against you; as you focus so much on the attempt to achieve them that you fail to play your best game during the quest.

Marathon sessions can be dangerous as well. If you lose alot early you can start to press and begin playing some marginal hands to try and catch up.

I've found it's best not to play for more than 2-3 hours straight, as I begin to lose my A game. Taking just a 30 minute break can do wonders.

I'm working on these things as well, and trying to just play my best game and improve along the way and see how I've done at the end of a session or day.

Hope things turn around for you soon.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marathon sessions can be dangerous as well. If you lose alot early you can start to press and begin playing some marginal hands to try and catch up.

I've found it's best not to play for more than 2-3 hours straight, as I begin to lose my A game. Taking just a 30 minute break can do wonders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I find I play my best poker when I get to the cardroom after lunch, and I realize that I have the next 15 hours or so to play (not that I would consider that a marathon session, but that's pretty long). If I fall behind early, instead of pressing like I might in our 4-5 hour games at school, I can relax, knowing I have all evening and into the morning to get on a rush.