Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Play This Hand Against Me

30-60. All fold to the guy just before the cut-off who raises. He's pretty loose, and pretty passive. Cut-off, who's a solid player, has been raising/isolating this guy fairly often, I think 3 times previously in the past 45 minutes or so. He raises with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'm on the button and 3-bet. The blinds fold and both the limper and the raiser call. Three of us see the flop of:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Limper checks. Cut-off bets. I call and limper calls.

Tun is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Limper bets; cut-off raises; I cold-call. Limper now folds. Just the cut-off and me now.

River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

What do you put me on? Do you bet or go for the check-raise?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Play This Hand Against Me

I bet out. Calling on the ragged flop and cold calling on the turn screams big pair, or a flush draw, likely A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I think that if it was one bet to you on the turn, you might have raised yourself with either of these holdings. As it happens, the flush gets there -- if I bet, you will raise if you made the flush, allowing me to three bet, and will likely call if with an overpair. If I check, you will likely bet with both holdings, but I can't be confident that you will call my check-raise with an overpair.

RH
Old 08-03-2004, 01:03 PM

I bet, not letting it get checked through, hoping the flush card disguises my hand a little, and you re-raise with eights full. Then I reraise you back, you put in another re-raise, I re-raise you back and if you re-raise me again, I've got to give you quads, and call. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

How'd I do -- did I win the hand? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 01:09 PM

My first guess is AA or KK, with 88 being my 3rd choice. I think you'd raise the flop with a flush draw, and I don't think Andy Fox 3-bet re-isolates with 33. Nor does he take this flop-and-turn line with a big ace. JJ and below would just about have to raise this flop to get out the 3rd player, and QQ probabaly does the same.

Basically, I'd assume you had a big pair and checkraise. I only call if you 3-bet.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:09 PM

I think you have quad 8s. If I were him I would bet out hoping to get raised so I can 3 bet.

-rory
Old 08-03-2004, 01:17 PM

88. I check and fold.

PS " All fold to the guy just before the cut-off who raises ." You mean "limps," right?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM

Eights full? You think andyfox 3-bet pf here with 98, 83 or 84???
Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I bet, you will raise if you made the flush, allowing me to three bet, and will likely call if with an overpair. If I check, you will likely bet with both holdings , but I can't be confident that you will call my check-raise with an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's likely to call with an overpair, and he's likely to bet both an overpair and a flush, then a check-raise should be the better choice since he MAY call the check-raise with his overpair. He's very likely to raise the river with an overpair if you bet though. Or?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 PM

I think you have a big pair, with 88 being also very possible. I check raise and only call a 3-bet.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:38 PM

Normally I cap the river without a second thought, but the fact that you bothered to post this hand magnifies the possibility of an 88. So knowing this beforehand, um, I check and call.