Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Difference in Tourny and Money play. Is the strategy difference huge?

I am getting Theory of Poker, HPFAP, SSH. now those are all basically money game books. do those strategies differ much from Tournament ones. I play with my friends where u put five dollars in a winners pot and then u get five dollars worth of chips. whoever has all the chips wins the winners pot. That is tournament right? i could still use strategies i learned from those books and Super System right?? i mean i am not wasting my money.

i also do play some money games so i am still not wasting my money. but the things i learn from those books won't go to waste at tourny.

Basically what is the difference in Tourny strategy and money strategy?? Thank you very very much if you take the time to answer all of these questions.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Difference in Tourny and Money play. Is the strategy difference huge?

yes, very much so, that is why there are different forums for each. i dont know of a good tourney strategy book. your best bet would probably be to read the posts by experienced players on the respective boards.

rj
Old 08-05-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Difference in Tourny and Money play. Is the strategy difference huge?

Or you could take the strategies you learn in those books and go play in a real game. I dont get the newbie sitngo mentality.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 AM

If you're playing a winner-takes-all tournament your strategy should not be any different from ring games.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing a winner-takes-all tournament your strategy should not be any different from ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the blinds don't accelerate than I could somewhat agree with this. With a typical blinds-increase-every-x-amount-of-time tourney, stack size and their relation to the blinds influences play a great deal. Hands that would be marginal in a ring game may be good enough to push with depending on the situation.

Despite what other people say, I thought the TJ Cloutier Pot-Limit and No-Limit Tournament book was very useful - particularly in beginning level SnGs.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a typical blinds-increase-every-x-amount-of-time tourney, stack size and their relation to the blinds influences play a great deal. Hands that would be marginal in a ring game may be good enough to push with depending on the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this is solely an effect of stack size and their relation to the blinds, as you say. If you were playing a ring game with the same stacks/blinds your strategy would be the same.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Difference in Tourny and Money play. Is the strategy difference hu

The difference is night and day.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Nope.