Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 02:43 AM

Default KQs vs. super chooks (i love saying that).

Is "chook" uniquely Australian? I've heard strip say it, and it sounds very Australian. Anyways, my opponents in this hand are super chooky. How's my play? MP has a PFR% of 14 and a VP$IP of almost 60. Pretty aggressive in general.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12 BB, between MP and Hero.</font>
Old 08-04-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: KQs vs. super chooks (i love saying that).

If he is chooky post flop as you say then I think I can find a river call too. I don't see any other streets that anyone could really question. And yes I prefer betting out rather than checking and calling on the river.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:11 AM

Hey Schneids,

If the player was loose preflop, but of average aggression (and by this I mean the player isn't a habitual bluffer), is this a fold most of the time?

He had 8c2c and MHWNG
Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If the player was loose preflop, but of average aggression (and by this I mean the player isn't a habitual bluffer), is this a fold most of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

In these games most of the time a river raise means they can beat one pair. I'd especially make a case for folding since you don't even have top pair.

A general rule is: get raised on the turn, there's still a reasonable chance top pair or less is ok (still opponent dependent though); get raised on the river and a vast majority of the time you need at least two pair (assuming opponent that has shown average post flop aggression).

In the long run if you're against somewhat sane opponents it's usually better to fold your hand here.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:50 AM

its not often i have a non raising non betting view but i like check/calling the turn

do you call them down when the turn is raised and a blank rivers ?

you have a bunch of outs if your behind and i dont want to pay 2 bets to hit one of them - it would be ok if i was gauranteed 2/1 action though... - low odds i'm going to lose the pot by doing this - what are the odds that both these guys check the turn ? - its an obvious bluff for one of them

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 AM

hey strip,

what reason do I have to believe that I'm behind if both players are pretty bad? If I was raised on the turn there's a good chance I would have called a river bet against one player (this may be a leak) when a blank hit.

I can see where you're coming from though, as far as them betting when I check anyways. I would just really hate to get this checked through when I have the best hand. Now, if I didn't have the flush draw this would be an obvious bet right?

BTW - what do you mean by "it would be ok if i was guarenteed 2/1 action"?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:26 AM

well you havent grossly misrepresented your hand to this point - you raised pre-flop and bet the nice looking flop for a raiser and they are still there - i pay them some respect - strangely i get little returned

if it goes check/bet/call on the turn - raise is a plan sometimes

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-04-2004, 10:08 AM

why bet river?

since u did, i'd fold.