Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Online player tries B&M for a week (Long Post)

As a successful online Hold ‘Em player of about a year, I decided to try my luck at B&M play on a 6-day trip to Vegas last week… I did as much “homework” as possible before my trip, and felt confident I understood cardroom etiquette, etc.
Here’s my story: (I play NLHE on Pstars, mostly $1 / 2 or 2 / 4)

Sunday: Arrived at & checked into the Orleans. The poker room was upstairs since it was the final round of the Orleans Open. I observed the tournament for awhile, the proceeded over to the tables to see what was open. They had an immediate seat at $2 / 4, which I took figuring this would be a good limit to start my week. I found the table very loose, and fairly easy for my disciplined game to make some small pots. I played about 3 hours, and had the opportunity to see Daniel Negreanu and Scotty Nguyen while I was there.
Results: Day 1 +$125

Monday: Went over to the Bellagio to try the NLHE game. Waited awhile for a seat at the main table, buy-in $200. The structure was 2/5 or 3/5, I honestly don’t remember! There were quite a few large stacks at the table, and I settled in and waited for some hands. I was down to about $100 when I saw AA in my hand. There was a $15 raise in front from UTG, which I re-raised to $30 and was called by 1 player. The board flopped 2 8 T rainbow, UTG bet out $40, I raised all in and was called… he showed TT and my third A never flopped. I re-bought for an additional $200, made a few hands, and was able to leave even after a few hours. I found a 4 /8 Limit game back at the Orleans and made about $150 playing a couple hours at a table full of calling stations.
Results: Day 2 = +$150

Tuesday: Headed downtown to Binion’s. Found a seat at the 2/4 table, and had more fun than I could ever imagine. It started very slow, as an elderly player who was half blind required the dealer to read him the board after almost every card and he played nearly every hand. The game was loose though, and I was able to double my $100 buy-in within just a couple hours. Found a 2/4 then a 6/12 game back at the Orleans that night, and made a small profit at both.
Results: Day 3 = +$250

Wednesday: (My birthday). Enjoying the early success of my B&M experience, I decided to try my luck at a tournament. Having never played in a live tourney before, I needed the experience. They had a noon NL tourney at the Orleans, $40 BI, $20 re-buys with 1 add-on. I found my way to my table, nervous as could be and trying my best not to show it. There were about 90 entrants. The 1st round was mostly uneventful except when I had a 9T offsuit on the BB, flopped two pair and called the UTG who went all-in on the flop. It was a quick double-up. After that in the 1st round I saw AA twice, and KK once, all without any callers to my preflop raises. I made it to the 1st break having doubled my chips, never needed a re-buy, and took the add-on for $20. I made it through the next couple hours playing a very disciplined game, and before I knew it we were down to 20 players on 2 tables. The payout structure was top 10. I was getting low in chips, and needed to double up to make the final table. I was in seat 10 as the BB when I saw 99. The button made a moderate raise, and I re-raised all-in. Then I heard seat 1 say “call”. Oops, I didn’t even realize he was in the hand. The button also called. Flop came 7Q2 rainbow, button went all-in and UTG (seat 1) called. Turn card 4, river 9… YES! Button showed AQ and was out. UTG showed KK and won the side pot. I had doubled up with the lucky river (phew!)… A few hands later I was in middle position with 55 and I called. 2 other players in, CO and BB. (CO was the guy in seat 1 who had the KK in the other hand.) Anyways, flop comes A85. BB checked, I checked, and CO went all-in. I gladly called with my set of 5’s, and he was eliminated. Within 10 hands or so of that hand we were at the Final table. I was about middle in chip count. Prize pool was $5000 and we discussed a 10-way chop. All agreed except chip leader. I suggested we each give him an extra $20, and after thinking about it for a little while he declined. (I would have been thrilled to walk away with $500 from a $60 investment in my 1st tourney ever.) So we played… We drew seats and I was still in seat 10. I was middle position on the 1st hand and limped in with AQ. All folded except BB who had the least chips. He went all-in, I called & he turned up 77. Flop came A8Q, turn came another A and he was out. Down to 9 players remaining… In the next 10 hands or so I had the best run of cards I’ve ever seen. I had JJ once, flopped a J and called another guy all-in. Then I saw a QQ and AJ suited, raised pre-flop with both and picked up some blinds (which were huge at this point) but no action. With 5 players remaining, I was the chip leader at the table. On this hand, UTG called all-in, I look down at AA and also went all-in. He said “Uh oh, she has an A…” He turned over KK, and I replied “Worse, two of them”. The AA held up and we were down to 4. At this point I had a serious chip lead and the short stack was the earlier chip leader who refused the chop. Now, the biggest weakness of my game is short-handed and Heads-up play. Knowing this, and coupled with the knowledge that in NLHE a chip lead could change in a matter of hands, I offered up a chop. The payout structure was as follows: 1st: $1560, 2nd: 905, 3rd: 555, 4th: 430, 5th – 10th had already paid out. A 4-way split would have been $860 each. I asked for an extra $30 from each player and they all agreed. I ended up with the “victory”, $960 payout, + $50 in bounties I received when knocking out other players. A $1010 payday for a $60 investment in my 1st tourney ever… not bad. On a side note, one of the players in the final four commented “I can’t believe I just got my ass kicked by a girl!” My boyfriend responded to him, “Welcome to my world, she kicks mine all the time!”
Results Day 4: $+950 (Great birthday!)

Thursday: Found my way back down to the Orleans poker room Thursday night and played 4/8 for a few hours. Slow start but eventually made some nice pots.
Results Day 5: $+125

Friday: Played 4/8 at the Orleans again and just couldn’t get my hands to hold up. I could have written a book of the bad beats I suffered and found myself down about $100 when I moved to the 6/12 game. After about 2 rounds without a hand I finally got some great hands that help up and made about $100 on the table and left.
Results Day 6: Even

Overall, what a great experience and a great week. I made about $1600, and learned some valuable lessons about B&M play along the way. For those of you who are online players only like I was, I strongly recommend you try it just once… It will give you a new found respect for the legends of this game who made poker what it is today! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Online player tries B&M for a week (Long Post)

nice post and congrats on your big win.

you chopped four ways with a "serious chip lead"? doesnt make a whole lotta sense since you were playing well. put the pressure on those small stacks and take them down.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you chopped four ways with a "serious chip lead"? doesnt make a whole lotta sense since you were playing well. put the pressure on those small stacks and take them down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, A- I was terrified... B- it guaranteed me better than 2nd place money.... C- Did I mention I was terrified? I've seen too many chip leads disappear quick in NL, I was more than glad to take the chop [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 PM

well at least you know your strengths, if you would be playing scared for some reason short handed i guess its better to just take the money.

still better than i've done in a tourney, although im i hate chopping so when i finally get that far ill be going all the way!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:25 AM

Good going and good post. Not bad at all for a newbie poster!

Next time you come to town you should look up 2+2ers (and perhaps play in a drunken 2+2 1-3 game, like this tuesday at 6pm at the excal) and definitely come to a wednesday poker discussion group meeting.

al
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 AM

Nice post and nice win in the tourney. I would have asked for a little more from each player, but then again, short-handed is the only time I'm any good at NL. I wouldn't have been in your spot in the first place, most likely. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NT
Old 08-02-2004, 04:10 AM

Nice post. A most enjoyable read.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 AM

I realize that you are not a legend, but have you ever considered writing a book about your poker travels. This post was fun to read. Also did you actually walk away even those days or were you down like 16 bucks or something. HAHAHAj/k. Good job in the tourney.
Best of luck,
Ryan
Old 08-02-2004, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post and nice win in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

She didn't actually win, which is what I was saying. I don't understand a chop when having a big chip lead. Go for the jugular! Though a great weekend for a B&M newbie...hopefully she doesn't become jaded and think this can happen every time.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...hopefully she doesn't become jaded and think this can happen every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, wouldn't that be the opposite of being jaded?