Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 01:36 PM

Default ANyone not play QQ here?

I seem to be going from bad to worse. It was tournament night in the davidross household last night, after a fantastic moneymaking afternoon, it was supposed to be a pleasant evening of low risk entertainment. Instead my blood pressure went through the roof and the dog cowered in the corner.

I played Super Tuesday, and terribly misplayed an AK hand, and deserved to go out. In reality I just wanted to give Philluva a chance. I also played a $20 NL tournament at EMpire. Only 100 entrants, 20 were paid, although you had to finish 17th to get more than your entry back. I made the last 2 tables in 4th chip position, then in 2 hands was out in 18th. I made a raise with KTs and got called by the button and the BB. FLop came QT2. I had around 4000 chips left and they each had 1200. There was 4K in the pot already and I moved in. Button folded, and BB called with 88. 8 rivered. Here we go again. Very next hand I get JJ and move in. BB wakes up with QQ and I'm out.

Afterwards I played 4 satellites, 1 at Party for the $million guaranteed this Saturday, and 3 at Stars for various WCOOP events. In all 4 of them I was among the chip leaders deep into the event.

1) Stars NL sat for the main event. 4 seats, around 50 left, and I take KK against 33, 3 comes on the river crippling me. Out on next hand with JJ against A5.

2) PP SAT NL. Again I went deep, last 4 tables, got it all in with a floppede set, called by a flush draw that got there.

3) Stars Limit sat. I was top 3 for most of the tourney (4 seats), but when we got to last 2 tables I had my Aces snapped by a flopped straight and went out shortly afterwards in 11th.

Finally the piece de resistance. $5 sat for the $500 NL event this Sunday. I had to rebuy during the first hour, then had an amazing run after the rebuy period was over. Doubled up a few times with the nuts, and sat among the chip leaders most of th eway. 7 seats available. THe lowest I dropped was about 12th, but then I'd climb up again. When we hit the final table (4 hours later) I was 6th in chips, but the stacks were pretty deep. Blinds are 3K / 6K, ante 300.

1 128K
me 115K
3 92K
4 89K
5 172K
6 81K
7 172K
8 292K
9 179K

So although I'm 6th, I don't think I can just expect to fold my way in.

1st hand at the final table I get QQ UTG+1. I raise to 24K. folded to the BB (9 seat)who goes all-in. I was at a table earlier with a guy who came over the top of me 3 times in 2 orbits, and I folded to all of them. Eventually he got called by someone else making the play with 33 and he busted a while ago. This BB was at that table too, but I don't know if he remembers me folding to all those re-raises. I call and he shows AQ. Flop J 8 7, turn 4, river......of course A. Another lovely evening comes to a close. I get $33 for my troubles.

No way I'm folding to the all-in, but I do wonder if I had to play the hand. I had already decided to sit out and go have a drink after winning that pot. Fuc*, of course I'm playing QQ here. I just can't catch a break right now.

Rant over.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: ANyone not play QQ here?

Sounds about like my play lately. As a result I have changed my game up a bit. Unfortunately those changes seem to have hurt me more than helped. The thing to remember is get your chips in when you have the best of it, and it sounds like you are doing that to a "T". When you play poker right though, your only real opponent is luck.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:07 PM

Default i feel your pain, David...

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to be going from bad to worse. It was tournament night in the davidross household last night, after a fantastic moneymaking afternoon, it was supposed to be a pleasant evening of low risk entertainment. Instead my blood pressure went through the roof and the dog cowered in the corner.

I played Super Tuesday, and terribly misplayed an AK hand, and deserved to go out. In reality I just wanted to give Philluva a chance. I also played a $20 NL tournament at EMpire. Only 100 entrants, 20 were paid, although you had to finish 17th to get more than your entry back. I made the last 2 tables in 4th chip position, then in 2 hands was out in 18th. I made a raise with KTs and got called by the button and the BB. FLop came QT2. I had around 4000 chips left and they each had 1200. There was 4K in the pot already and I moved in. Button folded, and BB called with 88. 8 rivered. Here we go again. Very next hand I get JJ and move in. BB wakes up with QQ and I'm out.

Afterwards I played 4 satellites, 1 at Party for the $million guaranteed this Saturday, and 3 at Stars for various WCOOP events. In all 4 of them I was among the chip leaders deep into the event.

1) Stars NL sat for the main event. 4 seats, around 50 left, and I take KK against 33, 3 comes on the river crippling me. Out on next hand with JJ against A5.

2) PP SAT NL. Again I went deep, last 4 tables, got it all in with a floppede set, called by a flush draw that got there.

3) Stars Limit sat. I was top 3 for most of the tourney (4 seats), but when we got to last 2 tables I had my Aces snapped by a flopped straight and went out shortly afterwards in 11th.

Finally the piece de resistance. $5 sat for the $500 NL event this Sunday. I had to rebuy during the first hour, then had an amazing run after the rebuy period was over. Doubled up a few times with the nuts, and sat among the chip leaders most of th eway. 7 seats available. THe lowest I dropped was about 12th, but then I'd climb up again. When we hit the final table (4 hours later) I was 6th in chips, but the stacks were pretty deep. Blinds are 3K / 6K, ante 300.

1 128K
me 115K
3 92K
4 89K
5 172K
6 81K
7 172K
8 292K
9 179K

So although I'm 6th, I don't think I can just expect to fold my way in.

1st hand at the final table I get QQ UTG+1. I raise to 24K. folded to the BB (9 seat)who goes all-in. I was at a table earlier with a guy who came over the top of me 3 times in 2 orbits, and I folded to all of them. Eventually he got called by someone else making the play with 33 and he busted a while ago. This BB was at that table too, but I don't know if he remembers me folding to all those re-raises. I call and he shows AQ. Flop J 8 7, turn 4, river......of course A. Another lovely evening comes to a close. I get $33 for my troubles.

No way I'm folding to the all-in, but I do wonder if I had to play the hand. I had already decided to sit out and go have a drink after winning that pot. Fuc*, of course I'm playing QQ here. I just can't catch a break right now.

Rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

yesterday in two SNGs, i was rivered twice holding the best hand preflop, losing to a flush and a straight on the river (on the bubble in 4th and a 6th). today i got rivered again on the bubble in 4th with A K to the chipleader who called my all-in with A 8o. an 8 fell on the river and he laughed. in my last 12 SNGs, i have four bubble finishes, three of which i had the best hand all the way to the river. right now, i could be 10 for my last 12 SNGs instead of 7 for 12 if i was'nt rivered. that does'nt even take into account getting rivered again in a SNG in which i actually placed 2nd in. so i've gotten rivered in 5 out of my last 12 SNGs, 41.6% of the time. that's extremely frustrating to deal with. the only solace that i can take away from this is the saying that everybody tells you, "It's poker. all you can do is get your money in with the best hand. good players win in the long run". does'nt help much with taking the sting away.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:11 PM

Of course you play here, David...but you know that.

I might raise a little more at this stage, just to let them know that you are PC'd. Something like 3.5-4x. 3x is fine too, though.

You'll get through it...don't fret.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:31 PM

David Ross,

In all honesty, chill out.

You are too good to be making posts like this, although everyone needs to rant sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just keep playing goot.
-Jason
Old 07-28-2004, 02:35 PM

Hang in there buddy.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:42 PM

i think you missed the objective of this tourney: to win a seat..Not win the tournament...With your chip count, I probably would have let it go. Against the guy who can bust, I'd probably heed to caution than risk my chips...even if he had AK or above, I think the risk vs reward is to great.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have let it go

[/ QUOTE ]

Nancy boy alert, nancy boy alert!!

If he wins this hand, he essentially wins the tournament. There's no way QQ should be folded here.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:56 PM

Are you saying fold pre-flop or fold to the all-in?

I can accept fold pre-flop as an argument, but with my read I can'timagine folding after making the pre-flop raise.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:59 PM

I'm talking about the objective of the tourney....The reason he's playing..he wants to win a seat..if davidross can essentially still have over 100K to play with after folding the QQ, the higher the percentage of chance, he'll win a seat. In satellites, I don't care if I'm the chip leader, as long as I can find some way to win the seat, then I'm doing it..even if it means laying down pocket Q's