Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Going all-in on a draw with odds

Hi yall, I have rarely posted but i was wondering your opinion about calling all-in in a no-limit game on draws where the pot size would justify your call.
Does the fact that you are going all-in make you less inclined even though if you were not going all-in or if the game was limit, you would be right to call?
I would like opinions for both no-limit cash games (where anyone can rebuy) and tournaments (with no rebuys - where it seems significantly less people would want to call - would there be any pot amount that you would call with?)

Thanks
kovalev
Old 07-28-2004, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Going all-in on a draw with odds

If you're going to fold when you have the best of it and are seeing a positive expected value just because you're all-in, you might as well not play poker. The whole point of no-limit is to get into these types of situations.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 PM

In a ring game, you should be willing to make big calls, even all in calls, if you are getting the correct or better pot odds, and you are sure your hand will be a winner if it hits. You only need a small overlay to do this in a ring game.

In a tournament, you need a better than normal overlay to do this, because you can't rebuy if you don't get there. For instance, in a ring game, I'd take a 5% overlay for all my chips, but in a tournament I wouldn't. In a tournament I'd need a much bigger than 5% overlay to risk all my chips on a draw.

al
Old 07-28-2004, 12:12 PM

If you actually "have odds"... then this means you are in a +EV situation to draw.. and should do it everytime. You are making money by definition.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:22 PM

In a ring game, yes. In a tournament, there are times when you should turn down a slightly +EV situation because of the unpleasant nature of going bust when you can't rebuy.

al
Old 07-28-2004, 12:31 PM

Troo... but isn't this a ring game forum!! I can definitely see waiting for better than a squeak above 0EV situation with tournament chips. But with a wad of cash and a never ending ring game... put your money in the pot