Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 PM

Default New to online poker (questions)

I am sure this is a frequenty asked question so if there is a history on this point me in the right direction.

I am going to start internet poker soon and am curious as to peoples opinions on which site to use and whether I should start at a low limit or not.

I have been beating the local 10-20 holdem game consistently for about 2 years now.

So should I start at low limts maybe 3-6 or could I just jump into a 10-20 or 15-30 game.

I have heard that for limit play Party poker is pretty good so I geuss I will try that.

Thanks for any info on the Subject.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: New to online poker (questions)

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure this is a frequenty asked question so if there is a history on this point me in the right direction.

I am going to start internet poker soon and am curious as to peoples opinions on which site to use and whether I should start at a low limit or not.

I have been beating the local 10-20 holdem game consistently for about 2 years now.

So should I start at low limts maybe 3-6 or could I just jump into a 10-20 or 15-30 game.

I have heard that for limit play Party poker is pretty good so I geuss I will try that.

Thanks for any info on the Subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMM, Yeah. Did you see the memo? You have to talk to payroll about that. And, uh, Yeah ... Friday is Hawaiian shirt day, you can wear jeans if you like. Right.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:22 PM

Party has the softest games. You should try $3-6 first since the games online are tighter and more aggressive. Get www.pokertraker.com it really helps alot.

Good luck

MS Sunshine
Old 07-22-2004, 03:48 PM

There are a few threads out there on this - experiment with the 2+2 "search" feature.

My 2 cents tho:

I know you play middle limits live, but I'd suggest investing in software at www.PokerTracker.com immediately to very accurately track your wins & losses & leaks, and then play low limits until you're consistently beating the game (as measured by PokerTracker).

1) For cheap practice until you get your feet wet, low-limit tournaments are a nice way to get a lot of real money play without paying much rake.

Playing a 1-table Sit N Go (SNG) will also give you a bit of practice playing short-handed.

The other reason I'd suggest that is that while Party IS the fishiest pool, it has a high cost to the newbie due to the relatively high rake at low limits (vs. other online sites). You can play from 20 to 100+ hands in a $10 tourney and only contribute $1 in rake.

2) PokerStars has better software than Party and verrrrry low microlimit tables. Just pick a good pic for your icon (to most this means no creepy baby photos, awful Rounders references, or cats/dogs)