Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 02:23 AM

Default finalTable Tourney hand, Prize Pool $25,000. How to avoid elimination?

Is there any way here I could have avoided getting knocked out of this tourney? This is the 3rd hand at the final table. After close to 4 hours of play through 125 players. 1st and 2nd get $10,000, 3rd thru 7th divide up the remaining $5,000 Antes of 75, blinds 300-600

BUTTON with 37245.
SB with 13480.
BB/Chipleader/villian with 48805.
UTG is at seat 3 with 10950.
UTG+1 is at seat 4 with 46365.
UTG+2 is at seat 5 with 11810.
MP-1 is at seat 6 with 20790.
HERO is at seat 7 with 9645.
MP+1 is at seat 8 with 20820.
BUTTON-1 with 30090.
The button is at seat 9.

Villian posts the big blind of 600.

HERO: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pre-flop:

UTG folds. UTG+1 folds. UTG+2 folds. RPMick MP-1. HERO raises to 2400. MP+1 folds. BUTTON-1(cutoff) folds. BUTTON folds. SB folds. BB Villian re-raises to 8250. HERO goes all-in for 9570. BB Villian calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

BB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Hero shows T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
He says, "I'm the big stack, so I called, played it, raised, etc." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Flop (board: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]): [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

(no action in this round)

Turn (board: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]): [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

River (board: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Showdown:

BB Villian has Qs Kd Ac Tc Jh: straight, ace high.
HERO has Th Ts Kc Ac Tc: three tens. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hand #2109052-3 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
BB Villian wins 20190 with straight, ace high.
HERO is eliminated. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Even being the big chip stack, I dont see how he can play this like he did. KQ off is very weak vs. nearly any hand a raiser would have. It certainly wouldnt be ahead in many cases. He also told me if I had just gone all-in directly he would have called, which I don't bellieve, thats just bad poker. Well, all thoughts, comments, critizisms are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: finalTable Tourney hand, Prize Pool $25,000. How to avoid elimination?

I found this quote off a different thread discussion. I'm guessing this is a decent explaination.

"You see this in the games on the tournament trail. A player with very deep pockets will repeatedly get all the money in against medium or small stacks when he's no worse than a 3 to 1 dog, and then try it again until he hits one. These players are generally of the "good-but-not-great" variety, in my experience, but they do present a problem to those of us who don't wish to get 20K into the game."
Old 07-18-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: finalTable Tourney hand, Prize Pool $25,000. How to avoid elimination?

There was nearly no way for you not to get knocked out on this hand unless some how you layed it down.

I also think the big stack didn't play the hand wrong ethier, he probably put you on a mid pocket pair, and saw the oppertunity to get you all in on an about even money situation. If he wins he has eliminated another competitor if not hes still got plenty of chips.

I also think the quote you found is not only incorrect, but does not fit this situation. First, it was an even money situation not a 3 to 1, the guy made a read that you had a mid pocket pair called you with 2 over cards and beat you.

I disagree with the quote, because it doesn't into account for pot size, or the probability of makeing a short stacked oppenent lay down a better hand when faceing elimination. Both of these are reasons to make a move on a short stacked oppenents when you know your behind. It also will change your image at the table and make it more likely for someone to call you the next time you actually have a hand. This is a style use by many great tourtament players includeing gus haneson.
The quote also says "worse then 3 to 1" which is almost never a place to make a move or call an allin, under any circumstances, but the situation you got into wasn't 3 to 1 it was even money big difference!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:37 PM

After I read your post again, I realized that only the top 7 get paid. If you are playing to at least get in the money, I definately would have folded to the reraise. The only hands he could possibly have preflop are ethier way ahead of you preflop, of a coin flip away from eliminating you. Even if he had QJ its as good as AK against your TT. What did you put him on?

If you had folded preflop with the bb at 600 you still had over 10 bb, and could have waited for a better hand to push your chips. As long as your playing for survival I'd aviod as many coin flips as possible, If your playin for 1st, then a risk like that is acceptable.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 PM

I put him on a AX, like A5, . I was playing for 1st, and knew at worst I would be at a 50/50, but was hoping for he held under pair.
I mananged to get in the way of him establishing his table authority with my own stupidity of overplaying my hand once again.