Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Two $100NL 6-handed hands: Am I being too LAG-y?

I won both of these hands, but wasn't sure that I played them correctly. Party $100NL, 6-handed. This is only the second time I've played this particular game.

First hand, I'm dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1 with a $100 stack. UTG calls, I call, everyone behind me calls, and the blinds complete.

I rarely raise with KQs in no limit games, and never from EP. It isn't strong enough to go up against hands that would call a pre-flop raise. I want to see the flop for cheap. Right?

Flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's checked to me, I check, it's checked to Button who bets $6. I raise to to $15. He quickly calls. He has me covered.

I had read the Button as a very weak-tight player, and his small bet further signalled weakness. I thought he would fold to my check-raise. Upon further consideration, I have realized two things, however:

1. If he was on a pure steal or only had overcards, he would have probably bet higher. The table was tight, but not tight enough that a half-pot bet would make all five limpers fold. If he had a flush draw, he would have checked and taken the free card. Thus he probably had a pair.

2. The board wasn't scary, and so my check-raise wouldn't seem as intimidating as it should to him - at least, not intimidating enough to make him fold a pair. About the only genuine hand that I would check-raise with would be a 75s or an overpair. So I shouldn't have been surprised when he called.

But I'm not in too bad shape. I have my overcard outs, and a backdoor flush draw.

Turn is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he checks behind me.

His call on the flop made me slow down. Should I have taken advantage of the scary turn and fired another barrel?

River is a K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet $20 into a $40 pot, he calls.

Bingo. I'm pretty confident I have the best hand now.

He calls with an A7 and I win.

Hand 2:

I'm dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1 with a $170 stack. UTG folds, I call, 1 player behind me calls, SB completes. BB has a $100 stack and raises to $10. I call, everyone else folds.

Called as per 10-15% rule. I don't have a solid read on BB.

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets $10 and I call.

His half-pot bet screamed overcards. I called, planning to check-raise the turn if a face card didn't show.

Turn comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets $10, I raise to $40.

Another weak bet, furthering my overcards suspicion. I raised hoping to represent trips, or at least an overpair. My new OESD was a bonus, too.

After thinking for a long time, he folds and I take it down.

Any comments would be appreciated.