Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 AM

Default Diablo vs. Bruiser $2/$4 NLHE PS

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed)

Bruiser ($$1217.75)
BB ($$181.10)
UTG ($$250.70)
Diablo ($$562.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Button calls $4, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($14) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $8, BB folds, Button calls $8.

Turn: ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $15, Button raises to $60, Hero calls $45.

River: ($150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $110, Button calls $110.

Final Pot: $370

Diablo has Tc 9h
Old 07-17-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Thoughts

Diablo said my play was bad, I should have reraised the turn. I thought if we got all our money in there's a godo chance I'm behind, we have decent sized stacks. If I reraise, and he goes all in, what am I going to do? Maybe he's doing this with Ac Qh, or a set, or some other Ac.

On the river the board pairs, and Diablo says he was going to use this to scare me. A few things... Why did Diablo limp on the button 4 handed? How could he have a fullhouse limping on the button, I think he'd raise on the button with a pair (I guess he could have 87). I didn' think of that in the game though. Also, based off of everything he says I bet he would raise my bet on the flop if he had a set.

He said that if I checked it to him, he was going all in on the river and that he read me for a small flush. I don't understand, he has a straight, it has good showdown value. If he puts me on a strong hand, why would he try and push me off it? There's a chance I might call, if the board didn't pair, I was probably going to check/call (although if I had thought out that he probably didnt have a fullhouse like i just did, I might have done that too), but I didn't want him checking with some sort of queen.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Thoughts

Oh, and one more thing. BDids on IRC is telling me that I look like a "brat" posting this to show that I beat Diablo. I am happy that I beat Diablo but the point of this thread is really just to analyze my play and Diablo's play. It's a annoying that I even have to say this, but I think this is a genuinely interesting hand and want this to be a good thread.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo said my play was bad, I should have reraised the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it down right there or make me pay for whatever draw or two pair or straight I might have there.

[ QUOTE ]
If I reraise, and he goes all in, what am I going to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do whatever you'd do if the same action occurs on the river. Just don't give me a free card to beat your 7-high flush.

[ QUOTE ]
On the river the board pairs, and Diablo says he was going to use this to scare me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that actually ended up saving you. What I said was that I should have still used it. When you called on the turn after thinking, I put you on a good hand, but not a great one. Maybe two pair, but quite possibly a small flush. I was very sure for a number of reasons that you didn't want to call an all-in. I expected you to check on the river and I was sure you would fold to an all-in. When you bet small on the river, instead of realizing that's consistent w/ my small flush read, I all of a sudden got nervous that you had two pair. But I think you would have bet more with a full house. So, I screwed up by letting myself get scared.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did Diablo limp on the button 4 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Misclick. I wasn't really paying much attention to these games - normally I don't ever misclick in an NL game. I was opening everything from $10-15.

[ QUOTE ]
How could he have a fullhouse limping on the button, I think he'd raise on the button with a pair

[/ QUOTE ]

A pair (or suited Ace) is probably one of the few hands I might actually limp in with on the button. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, based off of everything he says I bet he would raise my bet on the flop if he had a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'd probably wait 'til the turn against you.

[ QUOTE ]
He said that if I checked it to him, he was going all in on the river and that he read me for a small flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said. What I read you for was a good hand, but one that you didn't love and didn't want to call an all-in with. There are reasons for that based on betting and timing patterns I've noticed from you.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand, he has a straight, it has good showdown value. If he puts me on a strong hand, why would he try and push me off it?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I thought you had a good hand, but not one you thought was very strong. Unfortunately, two pair was contained in that range of hands.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a genuinely interesting hand and want this to be a good thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was pretty interesting as well.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Diablo vs. Bruiser $2/$4 NLHE PS

Hi Bruiser,
Looks to me like you played it well. You're correct that against most good players, this is not a hand where you can throw the KO punch very often. I assume you would've gotten away from the hand, had another club fallen. As long as that's true, your call on the turn was fine.

This is one of those hands where you're actually better off putting your money in calling, rather than betting. Thus, against an aggressive/tricky player, you might try a smallish raise (like to 150), HOPING he'll come over the top. The con to that play is that you build the pot to where you could make a bad laydown or bad call on the river if an ugly card falls. Against a known expert, I like your line. Diablo also didn't have quite as many chips as is optimal to try this play (about 700 is right).

On the river, I think you have a bigger value bet, or a check to induce a bet. I think you want about 250 to go in, and he really can't raise you enough to have to worry about it.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Give him credit

Hi Diablo,
Come on, man. Good players don't like it when our opponents get us to pay off on the end, but sometimes, they just play it right and you must tip your latex mask to them.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and one more thing. BDids on IRC is telling me that I look like a "brat" posting this to show that I beat Diablo. I am happy that I beat Diablo but the point of this thread is really just to analyze my play and Diablo's play. It's a annoying that I even have to say this, but I think this is a genuinely interesting hand and want this to be a good thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it interesting that less than 2 weeks ago, I sat down to play 3 handed with you and a guppy and you said "Go away aces, I'm trying to build my bankroll" But now you sit down with the Devil himself?

Me thinks you should work on your game selection, pal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FWIW, Devilfish stacked me off twice this week, so maybe I should heed my own advice.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Give him credit

[ QUOTE ]
So, I screwed up by letting myself get scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's not credit I don't know what is. I expected him to check, I move, he folds. But his bet gave me enough pause to not make the right move (based on experience w/ him, I suspect he'd usually bet a little more w/ a boat here). Even though I think I should have been able to put him on exactly a small flush w/ that bet, I wavered enough to not go w/ my plan and got a little confused. Hence, good bet.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Give him credit

I thought diablo's call is a hell of a lot better than a push on the river, once he bets. if checks then I think your push is a great move.

I've never played with El Diablo, but I would reraise the turn many, many times and maybe only flat call every once in a while. my reasons include forcing commitment from him with a good but probably lesser hand, and to neutralize his ability to force me to make a big call on the river, and providing cover for the times I am reraising the turn with nothing :0 . also, I just do not mind getting all my money in on the turn.

--turnipmonster