Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 05:43 PM

Default $1-5 live hand question

Sorry, I don't remember the details, but assume typical $1-5 stud loose-passive-calling station players.

$.50 ante, full table, $1 low card bring in.

Bring in is 2-3 to my right. I start w/split kings and raise to $6. Called in 2 spots. The lone A showing, just to my left, is one of the folders.

I bet $5 on 4th after blanking off, and am called in 1 spot.

On 5th, my sole opponent pairs his 4th street card, and I catch a blank.

Again, sorry for the vagueness, this happened a while ago.

Is this a spot to slow down with 1 unimproved pair? Or heads-up, do you keep the foot on the gas?

Thanks in advance,

CMP
Old 07-19-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: $1-5 live hand question

If bet into, I just call. If he checks, I probably fire one more time and take a free card on sixth street if he calls fifth.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:42 PM

I wouldn't automatically assume trips, so I'd tend to play it the same way as Andy but I'm disappointed that he didn't recommend getting a 3rd King on 6th. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This is a situation where it really helps to know the person you're playing against. Would he call your raise on 3rd with a pair of 4s? If he's a loose player he could be on some sort of draw (including a buried pair) in which case you want to make him pay to make his draw, especially since you're heads up. If he's a passive player now on two pair, he may check and give you a free chance to outdraw him.
Knowing what kind of player I'm dealing with has helped me a lot in these kinds of situations.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM

If he checks, I check along. He likely doesn't have trips, but he might. And it's very likely he has two pair. If I make a second pair on sixth and he checks, I bet. If I'm first to act with two pair on sixth, I bet.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:43 PM

he is likely to have two pair . good thing is that you have an over pair and the pot is fairly sizable because of the over ante.

If your side cards are live I would take one off by calling especially if One of his door cards, pair cards or likely hole cards are dead .

good thing about this is if he does only have one pair you encourage him to continue to bluff. these wins help offset the times that he has trips.

just my few cents
Old 07-20-2004, 05:36 AM

Opponent paired his fourth street card, not his door card, so trips are unlikely.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:55 AM

that is a very high ante for that level. your best strategy might be to move up to 5-10.

that said, i would bet again for sure. if you are called, and you will be, bet again. check and call the river if you dont improve. if there is some reason to believe that he has two pair but wouldnt raise with them then you may want to check when he pairs instead of bet.

Pat
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM

one problem i see throughout these threads, and this has alwyas been true since i started posting here, is that people give way too much credit for good hands to bad players at low limits. there is no reason to assume that he has two pair. i certainly wouldnt. you say that if the side cards are live you should take one off. even if they are not totally live you should take one off. even if they are more on the dead side than you would like you should not fold, to do so is a disaster.

Pat
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM

Default RESULTS

He checked and I led 5th and 6th and was called both times.

I did not improve on the end, fired one last time, and he thought about folding but wound up flipping up 2 small pair. I'm not sure if he started with a buried pair or if he paired on 7th.

This was from my last frustrating session a while back while waiting for a HE seat (my main game) -- started with split Ks 3 times in about 40 minutes and none were winners, including one 6th street that found me with 3 kings and a 4-flush losing to Js and 10s that filled on the river.

I like the game, but unfortunately there's not a more reasonable choice near me (structure-wise).

Thanks again, all.

CMP
Old 07-20-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I like your aggression to an extent, however, you will hardly get anyone to fold at 1-5. I would (in the future) take the advice of the others and take off a free card. Even if he takes over betting on the next street, via the size of the pot and the fact that you have the overpair, you're going to have to take cards off. Just don't forget that a saved bet is as good as an earned bet. If you haven't improved, and he checks his open pair into you, check! It's true that he doesn't necessarily have to have two pair, but I find that someone that calls the full raise on 3rd normally has something [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]