Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Hear the fish, see the fish, BE the fish

In an old post I raised an AK preflop, missed, someone min-raised into me, and I tried futilely to raise the size of the pot to push them off. Tosh recommended to me, roughly: "Don't bother trying to bluff these min-raises idiots, they have hit something and will call". So I took that knowledge and applied it in an unorthidox way.

In this hand, I figure the odds of me getting anyone with a king to lay down this flop are about 0%. Bad kings would not have called pre-flop if they weren't horrible calling stations. But with a gutshot, a backdoor, and an overcard (albeit tainted), I really want to see another card. The problem is, if someone bets the pot, I have to fold, and if I check, someone in late position will surely bet. By pre-emptively min-betting into this pot, I suspected there was a chance at freezing up anyone who might have bet larger. Insanity, genius, or somewhere in between? Tell me what you think:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">UTG+1 (t800)</font>
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
<font color="C00000">SB (t800)</font>
BB (t800)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t800)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t50, MP3 calls t50, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t40, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (t265) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t15</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t30</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls t30, Hero calls t15.

Turn: (t355) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t15</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, SB calls t15.

River: (t400) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: t400
<font color="green">Main Pot: t400 (t400), between UTG+1, SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t400).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ks 9c (two pair, kings and nines).
Hero shows Qc Ac (high card, ace).
UTG+1 shows Ad Jd (high card, ace).
Outcome: SB wins t400. </font>

In a sense, my plan worked. I got cards as cheaply as I could have hoped for. I didn't hit, but that's wholly immaterial, isn't it?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Hear the fish, see the fish, BE the fish

I like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

k
Old 07-14-2004, 08:04 AM

This works so often, and i have no idea why!

I can remember being called for 35 by a guy with a flopped set and making a flush on the turn, man was he upset, 4 letter fury ensued, when he raised on the river and i took it down. I think they believe they are being clever.

Regards ML
Old 07-14-2004, 04:42 PM

"This works so often, and i have no idea why!"

You get a passive family-style table and it's a must on long shot draws like gut-shots and middle pairs.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:07 PM

In my experience, this technique works very well. Most low buy-in players don't have an idea of pot odds or what to bet. So taking the lead, definately puts most players on the defensive (esp if they have a not-so-great-kicker).

Just keep that in mind when someone min bets you!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:09 PM

I like it as well, and can't wait to try it at home. It reminds me of the limit play of raising the flop from the button in order to get a free card for your draw.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Yeah, I was going to say something about the free card play.

I'm surprised this has got such positive responses. I thought I was likely being too clever for my own good and someone was going to flame me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Would anyone have semi-bluffed the turn? Pointless, right? Can't semi-bluff bad calling stations.

Would anyone have raised more pre-flop?
Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM

I do it all the time.

A tiny bet says a alot. Someone that has a good hand might try to trap you, not knowing you have a great draw. Or they might think you are trying to trap them so they dont go over the top. If someone comes over the top just fold and you wasted almost nothing to see cards for cheap cheap cheap.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:04 PM

So the consensus is min raise is bad, but min bet is a valid tool? It's poor strategy against a real player right? But is the idea that it works well against certain weak opponents?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM

The play doesn't really work at higher limits ($100+ sngs or $2/4 + NL). I raise pot about 75% of the time someone min bets into a raised or big pot. They generally fold, and if they call, I bet pot on the turn when a blank falls.

However, against good players who realize the clownery of the min bet into a big pot, try min betting with a monster.