Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Heads Up Play

Played in a stud triple shootout tourney on PS the other day and knocked everyone else out and was up about 3 to 1 in chips to the one guy left and lost. I had an awful run of cards, but still should have been able to win this just by sheer size of my bankroll, but I ended up getting my stack chipped away at and then went all in with A's up and got drawn out on.
It seemed like every call I made was wrong...If i raised his bring in with a scare card he would call or reraise and if I had the bring in he would raise me. Figured he was just playing aggressive with nothing and called a few times even though I had nothing and ended up folding or losing the pots. Should I not be folding my 300 bring in when it is raised to 1000 and I have garbage? any suggestions? What is a good strategy for heads up?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Play

In headsup play at the end of a tournament, in stud you are often risking more in relation to the pot size then you are in holdem. Though it is important to play aggressively in both games, you must be more selectively aggressive in stud. You can also afford to let your opponent steal a little more then you can in holdem because when you do call him or reraise him you will be getting the best of it in a bigger pot. If your opponent keeps completing to 1000 every hand and the bring in is just 300. Wait for a pair or 3 big cards before you play a big pot with him.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:21 AM

well u don't want to just give away your bring in constantly as this will only encourage a continued attack, so an occasional reraise or slowplay with strong hole cards is necessary just to keep ur opponenet off balance, but in general with a 3 to 1 chip lead you should play protectively because you can afford to wait for strength..
Old 07-18-2004, 07:24 PM

i won a satellite a few years ago to qualify for the US Poker championship, which was my first tourney. when it got heads up I was at an 8-1 chip disadvantage. i literally raised and reraised with every hand because my opponent was weak. sometimes it happens. keep in ind that he is probably raising loose and if you have a chip advantage in stud there are very few large favorites if your opponent is not rolled up.

Pat