Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Helping to identify the winning hand

Was everyone's opinion of who should help identifying the winning hand in a home game? Last night, one guy goes all in, gets a caller, I'm not in the hand. To make a long story short, card on the river gave the caller, the chips are being pushed to him, when i notice it gave all in the inside card to a straight. I mention it, and all in is still in the game. I was thinking after though, that if someone can't even notice they have the winning hand, should someone else mention it? This isn't someone new to poker that doesn't know hands.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Helping to identify the winning hand

Yes, if he doesn't notice it someone should mention it lol.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:42 PM

If it's a friendly home game yes. If there's a good sum of money on the game, then it depends.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM

It should have been the job of the dealer...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Anyone who sees a tabled hand misread should correct it before the pot is pushed. CARDS SPEAK.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Unless there is a specific house rule against it, everyone is responsible for enforcing the cards speak rule, even if not in the hand.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, if he doesn't notice it someone should mention it lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Cards should speak in all games.

Good Luck
Scotty O

ScottyOWeb.com
Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 AM

speak if notice something is wrong, no dealer so things like this will happen.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 AM

Cards speak is the general rule as ten people before me have said. However, say there's an ace high straight on the board with no flush possibilities. If one player says I have two pair and the other says, I have a straight and the two pair player mucks his hand, he doesn't get half the pot even though the played cards no matter what are on the board.

Far fetched scenario however stuff like this happens. There was a card player article about this a while back thatI like to reference. Straight on the board and Daniel Negreneau says he has a straight and got the other guy to muck, even though Daniel was playing the board.

This brought up the question if something like this is ethical, and I personally think it definitely is.

Anyway, to sum up. If the cards are flipped up on the table, cards speak. If someone declares something and the other player mucks his hand without seeing the declaring players hand he loses no matter what, even if the declaring player was "wrong" in what he declared.

I guess another, better way to sum up my post would be to say that, it's House Rules, always, as it's a home game, but usually cards speak, as long as they're allowed too (ie, they're tabled)

JMB
Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cards speak is the general rule as ten people before me have said. However, say there's an ace high straight on the board with no flush possibilities. If one player says I have two pair and the other says, I have a straight and the two pair player mucks his hand, he doesn't get half the pot even though the played cards no matter what are on the board.

Far fetched scenario however stuff like this happens. There was a card player article about this a while back thatI like to reference. Straight on the board and Daniel Negreneau says he has a straight and got the other guy to muck, even though Daniel was playing the board.

This brought up the question if something like this is ethical, and I personally think it definitely is.

Anyway, to sum up. If the cards are flipped up on the table, cards speak. If someone declares something and the other player mucks his hand without seeing the declaring players hand he loses no matter what, even if the declaring player was "wrong" in what he declared.

I guess another, better way to sum up my post would be to say that, it's House Rules, always, as it's a home game, but usually cards speak, as long as they're allowed too (ie, they're tabled)

JMB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its nice that you point out this variation, even though its just not applicable to the cards speak rule. The two pair player didn't let his cards speak, he spoke and then mucked. If he'd tabled his cards face up and said two pair, then he's entitled to split even if the dealer then swept them into the muck if winning hand on the board was then noticed.

--Zetack