Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2003, 07:18 AM

Default 24s big-blind, river dilemma

reasonably good 10-20 game at muckleshoot. i have 2[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] in the big blind. six limpers, i check.

flop: T[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]6[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

i check. so does everyone else!

turn: T[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

i decide to semibluff my 4 and (anti-nut) spade draw. two loose-weak players call.

river: A[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

i bet, first opponent raises, other opponent folds. there is now $186 in the pot.

what do you do?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Re: 24s big-blind, river dilemma

I am new so take this in that regard. When you checked preflop, flop and then semi-bluffed on the turn, you were put on two pair T's/4's or 6's. Loose player/caller is holding A-rag looking for the A that comes on the river. He has two pair with top pair. Raise back and if he 3 bets - call.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Re: 24s big-blind, river dilemna

cpk,

Just call the raise.

Unless the raiser is a really bad player it seems unlikely that he would raise without at least a flush himself given this board.

-- Manzanita
Old 01-19-2003, 10:16 PM

Default Re: 24s big-blind, river dilemma

I actually folded, but the winner flashed Jx of spades, so I did the "results-oriented" right thing. I just wonder.

I don't normally make this laydown in the Muckleshoot 10-20 (bluff raises are common in that game), but I'd been watching that player for hours, and I didn't feel he was capable of a bluff raise. But now I think I probably should have called the raise--it's close, though. I think he's 90% likely to have a flush or better, and I forgot to count his raise in the pot odds, so I felt I wan't getting the 9:1 (I was, in fact). And remember, any flush is better than my flush.