Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Default what is considered serious poker?

Hi, I am new both to this forum and the world of poker in general. After doing a search of the already existing posts to make sure I don't annoy with my ignorant question, I've decided to ask your opinion.

What is considered the best variant for the serious poker player who isn't pro, but enjoys mid-level stakes cardrooms?

If there are any websites or books you could direct me to discussing serious poker, the players, psychology of the game, and mid-stakes play, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: what is considered serious poker?

This website is a great place to start. The Books/Publications Forum has lots of reviews and information on books.

It sounds like you're interested in live play more than online play? And what do you consider mid-stakes? How much money are you willing to play with?

The reason I ask is because you can play $1/$2 poker very seriously and in fact I think there are quite a few players who can actually earn a living playing $3/$6 online which I think is very serious. But for live play, I don't think stakes below $10/$20 are considered serious at all.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is considered the best variant for the serious poker player who isn't pro, but enjoys mid-level stakes cardrooms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit and No Limit Texas Hold'em are certainly the most popular, and you will find more places to play and more stakes to play at for these games than any others. Ultimately you should play what you are best at, assuming you can find a good game to play in.

[ QUOTE ]
If there are any websites or books you could direct me to discussing serious poker, the players, psychology of the game, and mid-stakes play, I would greatly appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This website is very good place to start. There are many forums here dedicated to different games and stakes, as well as theory and psychology.

For Limit Hold'em in particular there are a large number of books to help learn the game and develop skills -- many of those books are published by the owners of this website (Two Plus Two books).

For specific book suggestions you could ask here or in the Books forum .
Old 08-19-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For specific book suggestions you could ask here or in the Books forum .

[/ QUOTE ]

See also here: http://poker.wikicities.com/index.php?title=Books

In general they're listed from most basic to most advanced for each variant.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But for live play, I don't think stakes below $10/$20 are considered serious at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeassy now, Pov. I make a very good side income on B&M 3/6 - 6/12. Take that back! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Onaflag.........
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 AM

What do you mean by "variant"? Seriously. It's hard to tell what you are asking about. If you are asking what websites and books are best to help improve your play, you've found the best website. And, as other posters have said, generally 2+2 books are also the best.

As for posting on 2+2, it's good that you read other posts and threads before you ask (some people don't), but may I suggest that when you post, you be more specific in your questions. "Serious" could mean many things. And so could "midlimits." Are you talking holdem or stud or omaha? Limit, no-limit or pot-limit? Makes a difference. If people don't really know what you mean, they can't help.

If you want answers (and people here will be very helpful), always be specific and generally post about only one question and in the appropriate forums. For example, if you have a specific question about the pyschological aspects of play, read and post in pyschology -- I know that sounds obvious, but it will work. (And I recommend reading The Psychology of Poker and Inside the Poker Mind!) Reading older threads is always great. I suggest also the favorite threads thread, which has much gold if you don't want to wade through hundreds of old threads: don't know if this will work, but I try a link: link to favorites thread

Anyway, good luck and welcome!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "variant"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually what variant means is a similar game with slightly different rules.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking holdem or stud or omaha? Limit, no-limit or pot-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are poker variants.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM

The only nit I'll pick with all this is that I'd consider different games to be different variants of poker. So, these are variants: hold'em, Omaha, Omaha/8, 7-card stud, 2-7 Triple Draw, etc.

Then there are betting structures for each variant. So, there is no limit, pot limit, limit, spread limit and others.

Probably the best beginner variant at this point in time is hold'em. Whether to play no limit or limit is a matter of taste.

The only reason this is the best game at this point is the sheer amount of game selection available.

Regards,

T
Old 08-22-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only nit I'll pick with all this is that I'd consider different games to be different variants of poker. So, these are variants: hold'em, Omaha, Omaha/8, 7-card stud, 2-7 Triple Draw, etc.

Then there are betting structures for each variant. So, there is no limit, pot limit, limit, spread limit and others.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair. I debated whether or not to leave the limit question in my reply.