Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 AM

Default 2/4 AQ and what to do when you get a piece of the flop

Empire 400NL Villain 2 (31/5/1.2) has $330, I have $430, Villain 1, a 2+2er (28/11/2.7) covers.

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP

3 folds, I call. Villain 2 calls. 3 folds, Villain 1 calls in SB. BB checks.

Flop ($15) (4 players) is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain 1 bets $15. BB folds. I raise to $45. Villain 2 calls. Villain 1 raises to $120 or something and I fold, obviously and he ends up winning later w/ 54.

I know the fold is clearly right at that point but I'm wondering what my flop play should have been. Should I just be calling there? I'm guessing yes.

If I do, should I call a turn pot bet 2-way? What about 3-way? What about a 2/3 pot bet 2-way and 3-way? How far are you willing to take this top pair 2nd kicker?

I realize a lot is dependent on the player but let's assume he's decent and not someone I'm particulary looking to mess around with.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: 2/4 AQ and what to do when you get a piece of the flop

I think raising this flop is fine. I'm checking the turn no matter what if he calls though, and then seeing how frisky I get on the river.

Also the correct thing to do is raise PF.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 AM

why are you limping with this hand?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 AM

Because I don't like raising AQ in early-mid position because it puts you in a sticky situation when someone who has position on you calls (and particularly if 2 players call you).

This could be wrong though.

Ryan
Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 AM

Like the others, I would raise this preflop. But I think your raise on the flop was correct, as was your fold to the reraise.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:47 AM

People get too scared of AQ, its a good hand,i repeat, its a good hand. Of course you will run into AK sometimes, but you need to be raising this preflop. Since u didn't you fold the reraise, which is good, but you wouldnt have gotten yourself in this spot if yo had raised PF.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I don't like raising AQ in early-mid position because it puts you in a sticky situation when someone who has position on you calls (and particularly if 2 players call you).

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that this is definitely wrong, especially with big stacks.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you, and would mix up limping and raising with it. Suitedness would make me more inclined to raise it.

If you limp it you can often get action from AJ-, if you raise it, you dont tend to get too much action on an A-flop unless you are in a world of pain.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Is there anyone out there that would like to answer the questions that I asked rather than telling me to raise preflop?

Sometimes I raise this PF, often I don't. I mix it up. Let's end the PF discussion cause it's not really what I'm interested in, to be honest.