Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Comments Please

I'm still wet behind the ears with only 4000 hands to date but wanted to point out a couple of observations from my games.
I play up to and including the .5/1 tables and my game is (hopefully) tight and aggressive as per SSH.

Point 1.
I have noticed that I am waiting on average 20 hands for playable pocket cards. When I get good cards, say AKs, I play them with a raise and generally find that the table folds to me (presumably since they have noticed my lack of played hands) and I pick up the princely sum of a buck or two!

Point 2.
when I occasionally do get to play my good cards, I am encountering lots of loose players at the .5/1 table that seemingly seem to always pick up a full house or flush on the river and beat the hell out of my long awaited straight! Having played the cards aggresively means that my chip stack takes a massive hit.

Are my observations consistent with those of other beginners?

Do the more seasoned players amongst you have similar recollections from your early days?

Any advice is welcome. I am not about to give up or go on tilt, I just want some thoughts on the way forward. My initial feelings are to either 1) Loosen up to counter the points above or 2) read some of the advanced books to see if they offer any solutions.

Thoughts/comments welcome.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Comments Please

Post specific hands. Grunch (respond without reading other responses first) on posted hands. These questions are just too general to really answer effectively. Search for advice on table selection (it sounds like you're playing at some awfully tight tables). And welcome to the forums.

-Jaran
Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Once every 20 hands (assuming two orbits and two big blinds) is a VP$IP of 5.5%. That's a heck of a tight game you've got there. Either you're getting statistically ludicrous cards preflop or you are likely missing some profitable chances to play.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Point 1.
I have noticed that I am waiting on average 20 hands for playable pocket cards. When I get good cards, say AKs, I play them with a raise and generally find that the <u>table folds to me </u> (presumably since they have noticed my lack of played hands) and I pick up the princely sum of a buck or two!

Point 2.
when I occasionally do get to play my good cards, I am encountering lots of <u>loose players</u> at the .5/1 table that seemingly seem to always pick up a full house or flush on the river and beat the hell out of my long awaited straight! Having played the cards aggresively means that my chip stack takes a massive hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point1 and Point2 seem to contradict
Your playing at loose tables and they fold. Then your playing at a tight table.

1/20 playable hands of very low = 5% VPIP. I would suggest searching for some preflop starting hand charts.

[ QUOTE ]
Do the more seasoned players amongst you have similar recollections from your early days?

[/ QUOTE ]

My early memories are of quickly depleting my bankroll over 4000 hands. Then starting to read a lot.

I suggest look at posts - think of your response without reading then see what others think. If you think the responses are whacked out then respond with your opinion. That way you will most likely get some very good reasoning of why your logic is flawed "The learning process begins"
Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 PM

I agree with briguin - your points seem to contradict. Also, you're probably playing too tight. Do you have a starting hand chart? Try this one. It's a good starting place.

Also, as others have suggested, try replying to threads more often. Welcome to the forums!