Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Early Freeroll Strategy

I just wanted to find out, for those of you who play freerolls, do you have an early (say maybe till 2nd break) strategy for these games?

There are quite a few freerolls out there that have nice top end payouts, but surviving the massive player pools (2000-2500) is proving easier said than done.

Do you like to take chances early on marginal hands to try to either build a stack or get busted out early so you don't spend too much time? Do you play it just like any other tourney?

The "survived and thrive" method that treats me fairly well in small stakes MTTs doesn't fare as well in the freerolls. One of the issues is that a normal MTT pays out around the top 10%. Many freerolls play only the top 30 or 50, wich is getting down to the top 1%-2$ for a 2,500 player pool.

Should I play these as I normally would, and just realize that I'm going to have to avoid a few more hard beats from the "fling 'em and hope" crowd you'll find in most freerolls?

Anything ya got could be helpful.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Early Freeroll Strategy

considering how many TERRIBLE all in's you see preflop you should be willing to push/call with less than you nromally would

If you bust oh well, on to other things, ig you catch alot of chips, cool beans.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 AM

playing really tight is what I like to do.. if there was ever a time where tight play would be the exact opposite play of the table, it would be a freeroll each and every time.

You can't use methods you've learned from books in freerolls.. there will regularly be at least 3, if not 5, if not almost the whole table in on the flop.. this takes away a lot of strategic moves you'd do in MTT and cash games

What you really need to do is limp right on in with suited connectors and A-x suited and hope to flop or at least draw to a big hand.. That is for limping

Other than that, just wait for monsters.. you will get called and paid off... don't go for normal 3-5X BB raise.. that doesn't work or matter in freerolls.. you will get called most of the time on any bet.. so if you have a high pocket pair or monster off the flop.. push.. and you'll be rewarded with a caller.. or two.. or three
Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 AM

Yea Marwan gives good advice. See as many flops as possible early with suited connectors and hopefully you get rewarded. Bet big with your monsters because you will most likely get callers.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 AM

Because people are so loose and aggressive early in these tournaments, table position is even more critical than usual. In late position I think you can limp with almost anything, since a flop that's good for you will generally pay off VERY well. In early position, the chance of your limp getting raised is so high that I think its best to play relatively tight.