Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 AM

Default No-Limit cold calls

Hey everyone, I have a question about what adjustments to make to the cold calling guidlines set forth in SSHE, when playing NLHE.
It seems unnecessarily restrictive when not in limit format.

What guidlines do you employ when decdiding to cc or not to cc.

What issues factor into this, and how do you rank thewm in importance.

Thanks a bunch and all my best,

Cambraceres
Old 11-18-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: No-Limit cold calls

NL cash games are nothing like limit cash games. Cold-calling raises when next to act is almost never the correct decision in a limit game, but depending on the circumstances in NL, it can be a fine play.

I would say the most important factor in deciding is your opponent and stack sizes. Almost all strategy based concepts in NL cash games have to do with stack sizes, opponent, and position. There are too many variables overall to be able to give a definitive time when you should cold-call or not.

Overall, it is not a bad play in NL compared to limit mainly for the fact that you can pick up a lot more money on your investment than you can in limit.

I remember one example from the WSOP this year where cold-calling was the correct play.

Sam Farha on day 1 was playing against a complete fish who made it 20x the BB to go in the first level. He was also a tight player, but didn't have much poker experience. He can put this opponent on AA or KK almost without question. The player started the hand with ~T10K and Farha ~T20K. The best was T1000. This seems like a terrible cold-call for Sammy with a lower pocket pair, but it is in fact a great call. For an investment of T1000, he can win T10,000 on a 7.5 to 1 shot. In a tournament with 5600 people and top heavy payouts, it is 100% worth the risk.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey everyone, I have a question about what adjustments to make to the cold calling guidlines set forth in SSHE, when playing NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is a book on LHE. If you blindly try to apply it to NL, you will make many mistakes as a result. This is not the fault of SSHE, which does not pretend to be a book on NLHE.

Raises in NL do not give the blinds and limpers the same pot odds as in limit. They are large in comparison to the dead money in the pot. Therefore, you should not feel as compelled to reraise to push the blinds out, even if you think you are ahead of the range with which the PFR would raise. It is also more expensive to let the preflop raiser act again if you are behind in NL than in limit.

Good candidates for smooth-calling in NL depend on the position of the PFR. Against an early position PFR with deep stacks, you may want to call a normal raise with AKo, AQs, QQ-22, and KQs-54s, reraising only with AKs, KK, and AA. See how different that is from limit? You hope to flop a big hand or big draw and get paid off, but you can also try to take the pot away (or value bet) if you miss but it seems your opponent no longer likes his hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems unnecessarily restrictive when not in limit format.

What guidlines do you employ when decdiding to cc or not to cc.

What issues factor into this, and how do you rank thewm in importance.

Thanks a bunch and all my best,

Cambraceres

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres what i do, i glance at my poker tracker i see the post flop aggression of the raiser at zero and i dont even look at my cards i just call [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]