Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Default live vs. online

Well, after playing some sessions of 5-10 and 10-25 live, I realise I have no feel for the game like I do online. Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have this problem?

Online, I just "know" when to bluff and when to back off. Live, I just havn't figured out the average player and cannot get a great feel for when to do things. So I end up buying in short and playing my big cards / pairs against huge stacks - which is profitable, but very boring and not optimal.

Isn't it supposed to be the opposite where most players can't get a read on people online but have great feel for live play?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: live vs. online

in my experience people usually have more info on your betting patterns and less info on the actual cards you're playing in a live game. if you've raised every hand for the past 5 hands, a multitabler might (might not also) miss that but in a live game even the fish are going to notice.

I find it a lot easier to make thin value bets in live games becuase you can get a better idea of what type of hand someone has by their actions. it's a lot easier to bet something like top pair on the river if you can see someone hates their hand but also wants to catch you bluffing. also it's generally easier to tell if someone's slowplaying a monster live.

online you are getting a lot of info about general tendencies at a much faster rate, like vpip etc. this is important but not nearly as important as it is in limit, where the range of successful styles is somewhat smaller I think. you almost certainly couldn't be a winner playing a ring game with a vpip of >40 in a limit game, but you probably could in many NL games.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 AM

I agree with everything turnipmonster said, especially about value bets. My least favorite part about playing live is that if the game moves slowly it can just be a waste of time.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything turnipmonster said, especially about value bets. My least favorite part about playing live is that if the game moves slowly it can just be a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, even if it isnt moving slow.

350HPH>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>35HPH.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:53 PM

It's different things. I suspect your online play has made you better at sensing patterns than sensing strength.

Online, I often quickly play so many hands against certain opponents and see certain betting patterns repeated so often that it is easy to know what they have based on that.

Live, it takes many more sessions to get that kind of knowledge and I'm much more often working on a vibe of "how much does that guy like his hand?"
Old 04-21-2005, 03:01 PM

me too