Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 87h on the button. You face a 6xBB raise (40xBB stacks) 1st hand of tourney.
I fold. This is a joke, right? 29 80.56%
I call. Gus Hansen and Dan the Man would! If I hit the flop hard, I can bust him out. 3 8.33%
Raise him all-in while cackling wildly! BOOYAH! 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Does this forum need to split?

Most of the good arguments here come down to philosophical differences between $33 buy-in and under players and $55 and up buy-in players.

The amount of starting chips as well as the quality of opponent makes strategy different. Should we have a low buy-in forum and a high buy-in forum?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Does this forum need to split?

Not only are there concepts that overlap (frankly, *all* concepts apply to all limits) but it's really not all that hard to tell who the 55+ posters are and 33- posters are. I like hearing the arguments from each camp. The only danger is that since most of the best players and/or posters play higher limits that their advice/play is applied misleadingly to the lower limits (I know I've done this in the past).

But, frankly, in order to get better you need to come to your own understanding of poker and SNG concepts. Every play is contextual and every limit has it's own texture and considerations. Hell, 33 and 11 are more different than most posters will admit/realize/say.

Yugoslav
Old 02-25-2005, 03:12 AM

The advice isnt usually misapplied to the lower limits. I worked my way up too just like everyone else, and I did it playing the way I do now.
I admit there are obviously some differences, but not nearly as many as people make there out to be.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The advice isnt usually misapplied to the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. Yes, it is. Which doesn't necessarily devalue the advice.

[ QUOTE ]

I worked my way up too just like everyone else, and I did it playing the way I do now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you paid your dues. I'm currently trying to pay mine. I'm also not saying that you can't play the lower limits like you play the higher limits. It's simply not optimal.

[ QUOTE ]

I admit there are obviously some differences, but not nearly as many as people make there out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

But more than you perhaps realize.

I'll stick by my statement that high buyin players' advice/plays/views can mislead beginning low limit players into picking up poor habits and/or misapplying concepts.

Yugoslav
Old 02-25-2005, 03:25 AM

Im sure you are right. But really I dont play THAT much differently in the higher and lower limits.

For example the AJo hand we are discussing, it MIGHT be correct for weaker players to fold it (although I bet that just opening allin would be superior).
Old 02-25-2005, 06:51 AM

im not going to write a book about it here, but there are QUITE a few differences even between the 33 and 55 levels. from 11 to 22 to 33 the jump wont be as dramatic, but i would say the most strategic differences occur from the 33 to 55 and 109 to 215 levels. im actually considering spending a few days pumping out about 500 30+3s just to get an idea of how they are different [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 09:03 AM

I like one forum just as it is.
I play $22s, but aspire to play higher. I think it's useful to see feedback for both high and low limits. I think it will help me progress to the higher limits faster.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 AM

Why split? the universe is ONE.

Needless to say, no-one is obligated to read all the posts anyhow.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:17 AM

Take a look at the difference between the Micro/Small/Mid-, High Stakes Holdem. Obviously, the fundamentals are the same at all of those limits. It is the myriad of small changes that must be made as one moves up that advocates a split in the forums.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:35 AM

I voted against a split. I think it is fairly easy to sort through the various posts. I also believe that while the indicated plays may be different at different levels, the concepts are not. Anyone who wants to excel in this game needs to understand the underlying concepts, which can be applied to any level. For example, suppose a play might be different in a 33 vs a 55. The nuances and subtleties of the situation that cause the play to be different are much more likely to be discussed in an unsplit forum. This discussion will deepen the understanding of the underlying concepts for all involved. In the future a 55 player may encounter a situation slightly different from the one discussed and be better equipped to parse the nuances into a correct decision. We all benefit from vigorous discussion.

Finally, while Party Poker NLHE S&Gs are the predominant focus here, people do play other sites and other games. This is the S&G forum, not the Party Poker NLHE S&G forum. We don't have separate forums for limit hold'em S&G or 7-stud S&G or PLO S&G, etc. We don't have separate forums for 6-player S&Gs on Stars or LHE S&G on Paradise. All of these have much greater differences than the difference between a 33 and 55 NLHE S&G at Party.

For the record I've played everything from 10+1 to 100+9. Currently playing 50+5.

Paul