Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Default A4 in bb after sb open-raises pf

I'm quite confused what the proper play should have been here. This was my first hand at the table, which made it much harder.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: A4 in bb after sb open-raises pf

I like your play. I alternate between 3betting pf and flat calling based on reads and just to mix it up. Sometimes I like flat calling so I can raise a flop that likely missed the raiser and maybe fold out better hands.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 PM

It's actually the river call that I'm questioning now. How many unknown 5/10 players have less than 2 pair here?

Or maybe I'm being influenced by the results.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's actually the river call that I'm questioning now. How many unknown 5/10 players have less than 2 pair here?

Or maybe I'm being influenced by the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't fold top pair here to a river donkbet for 1 bet HU. It will often be a bluff, and it's bad for business - inviting more bluffs in the future.

Surf
Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM

I like to 3-bet many times here PF. Sometimes not against a tight player. Flop play seems ok to me.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to 3-bet many times here PF. Sometimes not against a tight player. Flop play seems ok to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My tendency against an unknown, particularly when I'm new to the table myself, is to play more cautiously in this situation. I don't know if it makes sense, but it makes me more comfortable at the outset.

I find these blind situations very hard against unknowns, as the right answer seems so dependent on reads. In many ways, the question amounts to asking what you believe a "typical" 5/10 player would do. And I've yet to figure out a profile of the "typical" 5/10 player, if one even exists.

I feel reassured about the river, though. I believe that most 5/10 players are donk-betting there with at least 2 pair, but it makes sense to me that I should be reluctant to fold, both because of the pot size and the image considerations.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Weaktightsauce!