Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 AM

Default A really weird problem

I posted this in the psy. forum because I can find no other forum that really makes sense...

No matter how well or how poorly I am doing, no matter how comfortable or stressed out I am, I always seem to get very hot, tempurature-wise, while playing poker. After a few hours, it tends to distract me. And, after a few high-pressure hands, it's like I'm ready for a cold shower.

Does anyone else have this problem or a similar problem?

Anyway to fix it?

I don't think it's an experience problem, as I have plenty of it. And I don't think it's a nervousness problem, because I get hot even when I'm feeling relaxed with everything else.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: A really weird problem

I also get rather warm when playing. You're in a heightened sense of awareness and you're doing a lot of thinking (I would hope.) I seem to recall from my extensive array of biology knowledge that the brain consumes a high % of the body's energy and accounts for a lot of the heat released (which is why your mom always tells you to wear a hat in the winter.)

I wouldn't worry about it but if it does bother you drink a bunch of ice water or something. Just lower your body's core temp a little.

JKratzer
Old 07-08-2005, 06:48 AM

Ya, I dont think is that strange of a problem, I seem to get extra warm when im playing too. The first response makes sence. Unless its a HUGE problem, then i guess drink lots of liquid and keep a fan on yourself i guess.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM

Clubs or online? I notice that clubs are packing tables into every square foot, and taxing the AC design limits in areas not originally designed for that many people. If the same thing happens online, try valium.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Don't keep your laptop on your lap. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM

You don't need to wear your baseball cap, hood and sunglasses while playing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in the psy. forum because I can find no other forum that really makes sense...

No matter how well or how poorly I am doing, no matter how comfortable or stressed out I am, I always seem to get very hot, tempurature-wise, while playing poker. After a few hours, it tends to distract me. And, after a few high-pressure hands, it's like I'm ready for a cold shower.

Does anyone else have this problem or a similar problem?

Anyway to fix it?

I don't think it's an experience problem, as I have plenty of it. And I don't think it's a nervousness problem, because I get hot even when I'm feeling relaxed with everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I was about to post the same thing. Except for me, I only become really hot when I'm doing extremely well in a tournament (not just limited to poker). Right now I'm doing well in a WPT Paris supersat..and I have a fever of over 103. Not sure if its a bad thing or not..although a really hige fever can't exactly be a good thing..
Old 07-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Could it simply be an adrenalin thing? Poker is cutthroat competition for cold hard cash, it's got to get the adrenalin pumping and yet there's fairly little actual physical activity.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:33 AM

Same thing happens to me and a couple of the kids I played with on my freshman hall. So yeah, we ended up playing cards in the lounge with the windows open...in February. Not helpful, just amusing I thought.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:32 AM

If you play at home maybe you could take your pulse and blood pressure before you start and then when you get really hot.

Might be interesting to know. If there are elevated it could be adrenaline.