Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 02:09 AM

Default ATo, Party3-6

I've been at the table for less than 2 orbits. The button, preflop 3 bettor, has not caught my attention yet, meaning I don't have a read on him except that he hasn't been in many pots and hasn't gotten out of line.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (15.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (15.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.66 BB
comments?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:16 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: ATo, Party3-6

<ul type="square">[*]ATo is closer to a fold than a raise PF for me (though I still call)[*]after you get raised on the flop you should probably not bet the turn. either he'll fold if you have him drawing to 2 outs or raise if he has you beat [/list]
Old 04-29-2004, 01:45 PM

Preflop, I think your raise is OK. It might enable you to win on the flop, and your hand is probably better than the two limper. Then you get threebet, that isn't good news.

Flop, I think betting the flop is the right way to go, then you get raised, again not good news. Some opponents will raise you with a pocket pair, so I guess calling is OK.

Turn, Don't bet, your opponenent gave you bad news twice, why are you ignoring him. You can call down, here, but check/folding also is an option. Putting multiple bets in on the last two streets is a mistake, unless you catch a ten.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:30 PM

thanks Bob T.

ATo is a hand I've gone back and forth with about what to do with it preflop. A while ago i would have limped in this spot, then there was a short time where I would have folded, right now it's an auto raise for me in this spot considering that it will often get the button for me and I likely have a better hand then any of the other players who have entered the pot so far.
I like my flop bet, and I certainly have to call when he raises and the other guys come along.
My main reason for betting the turn was that if I have the best hand I don't want to give a free card here. I agree that it looks like I'm behind right now but the button could have auto raised my flop bet with JJ,QQ,KK, which he will most likely check behind on the turn.
So he raises me again on the turn, okay, I'm now almost certain I'm beaten. But now that the pot is so big, aren't I getting odds to draw to my likely 3 tens to win, 2 sevens and the final ace to split?
River comes blank, he bets and I still think I'm beaten, but I have a tough time folding HU in this big of a pot.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:44 PM

I don't think giving a free card on the turn is a disaster. If you are ahead, the button is drawing extremely thin. I think you have to check this on the turn. If he checks behind, lead the river. If he bets, I'd be inclined to call him down strictly because he's a Party 3/6 player. Half the time I get shown AK and half the time I get shown KK-TT or worse.

Don't bet this turn.

Schaefer
Old 04-29-2004, 02:48 PM

Thanks Schaefer,

There were four players to see the turn, BB, MP, Hero, and Button. I guess its still not a disaster if the turn checks around, but if I do have the best hand it would sure be nice to get a bet in here.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:54 PM

Bob/others:

What do you think of a check-raise on the flop? If you're 3-bet you can probably get away from the hand and it costs the same as a bet/call if you're not. Your aggression may get the turn checked around, which wouldn't be a bad thing on this hand, I don't think.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:56 PM

"aren't I getting odds to draw to my likely 3 tens to win, 2 sevens and the final ace to split?"

You are on the right track. Most people don't even consider the 2 sevens and the case ace.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 PM

Clarkmeister,
What do you think about the river though?

Assymetrical,

When I bet the flop I did it thinking I was probably going to be raised. I wouldn't mind getting it HU with the button which is much more likely if its two bets to the BB and MP. If the button's flop raise knocked out the other two players I check call him down.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:06 PM

"What do you think about the river though?"

I'm not more than 94% certain I'm going to wake up in the morning. I agree with those who said the turn bet was bad, but I'm not folding now.