Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Interesting river decision

SB is loose passive preflop but likes to take stabs at the flop, even multiway. Because of this tendency I'm unsure about his lead on the river.

(No comments needed preflop)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks.

River: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ??

I'd like to hear some comments before I give my own thoughts.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Interesting river decision

Unless my reads on the other opponents are SUPER passive, I fold the flop here. I'm out of position to the field with just overcards and it's a flop that will get raised behind me a large percentage of the time.

I fold the river also. Lots of folks to act behind you and you're at best splitting. If you don't want to fold, then raise hoping you'll get a bigger portion of a split.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Interesting river decision

[ QUOTE ]
I fold the river also. Lots of folks to act behind you and you're at best splitting.

[/ QUOTE ]
These were my exact thoughts after the hand. I now don't believe getting 1:1 on this call in a situation with someone leading out against a big field, even if I did not particularly believe the lead out, is good enough. But I didn't make that analysis quick enough at the tables and so I called and I'm disappointed to say it was my ego making that call... Didn't want to be bullied (a leak, yes!). He didn't have it but the button raised and took it down.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to fold, then raise hoping you'll get a bigger portion of a split.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising actually only occured to me now when posting this hand, not when playing and I kind of like the idea, especially knowing the SB will often bet with nothing.

Great reply, thanks.