Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Milking the teat of the vaca dinero

Ok, first post ever here, so forgive any errors/omissions in protocol, blablabla. $25 NL Party Table:

Seat 1: Yellowbeard5 ( $88.25)
Seat 2: RealAmerican Hero ( $52.26)
Seat 3: campout ( $47.05)
Seat 4: Delabar ( $27.07)
Seat 5: barefoot12 ( $13.45)
Seat 6: Iloosemymone ( $47.28)
Seat 7: PcktRocketsA ( $61.75)
Seat 8: mwhetrock ( $24.70)
Seat 9: Shoshana_ ( $25)
Seat 10: Chortle ( $24.50)

Im on the button w/QQ. MP1 limps, MP2 min-raises to $1,
I raise it to $2, MP1 and MP2 both call. The flop comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Its checked to me, I bet $3.50. MP1 folds, MP2 raises it to $7. At this point, Im obviously thrilled to have been raised, and perhaps my experience lately with players on Party has robbed me of any sort of subtlety. Without hesitation, I re-raised him the rest of his chips (around $17). In the spot, nearly everyone I've played on Party would have instantly called in his position, but to my surprise, he sat there and pondered, and ultimately his time ran out and his hand was folded. He then said "nice raise" and told me he had AQ. After what was a dream hand/scenario, I was left feeling like I should have been able to get more money from him, if not his whole stack. I had been multi-tabling it and didnt know that he was a tightish player by Party Standards, but Im curious as to how other posters on here might have played this. Of course, if he's raising with a flush draw and I check the turn, I give two free cards and get no more money unless a flush/full card hits. But if I check-raise the turn after he bets, he's nearly committed for the rest of his stack. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

HE GIMME DA WATCH!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Milking the teat of the vaca dinero

You have two options that are good imo (could be more but these came to my mind):
a) what you did
b) call and bet out the turn and let him raise all in (if he doesn't bet out on the river the rest of his chips)

Giving away free cards is terrible because so many on party seem to have only read the part of Super System where Doyle says to raise with a draw and so it is fairly likely that he has a couple hearts.

I guess another option is the good old min raise. He's more likely to call and it will get him committed.

On a posting note, most use this converter. It was written by a frequent poster here (though not in the PL/NL forum) and simplifies the process of posting the hand.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I jusr realized that my post was a little dumb since I was on the button and had position on him, so I think I definitely should have called, and raised the turn, as I would definitely have gotten more money and most likely committed him to the pot. At any rate, I think the question is still valid for similar situations when Id be out of position.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:24 PM

Yeah but if he did have hearts and you did bet like that and a heart came on the turn you'd be here posting..

"Should I have pushed him in on the flop?".

You played it fine.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:28 PM

One of the hardest situations is when you have the nuts or are sure you have the best hand and are out of position on the river. I still haven't really mastered it. You can check and induce a bluff at the risk of letting it get checked through. Making a tiny bet and hoping to induce a bluff is also an option. Tiny bets normally get at least a call but the amount is fairly insignificant. Overbetting is also an option - make it look like you're trying to buy the pot. I'm never really sure what to do then either. This situation (if you were out of position) is similar so I'm wondering what some of the old timers here would say.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Re: Milking the teat of the vaca dinero

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are a virgin poster I'll let this slide. Don't let it happen again.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:37 AM

Let it slide b/c the subject line is profane? If so, apologies, didnt even think of it. Just making a silly analogy.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 AM

I'm just kidding. . . .I'm not the moderator or anything. . . [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 09:15 AM

Alrightey then. I was sincerely perplexed there for a sec, thought I was getting nono'd by squareBob Mc squarepants. Besides, "teat" has gotta be a clinical term or something, and if not it certainly should be. Has such a nice ring to it.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:05 PM

What about the min-reraise pre-flop? I would have come over the top harder, depending on how they were playing.