Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Higher $/hr by going for coinflips @ Lvl1-> Your $/hr + #10 finishes?

Lorinda says she goes for coin flips at lvl1. If she hits, her chances of ITM improve significantly. if she loses, then she'll just start a new game. she says her $/hr is higher with this method.

She even provided a mathematically proof of it. But i cant find that thread [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, my 9th + 10th place finishes total 11% [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] in my last 800 $55's. ITM = 36.1%, ROI = 16.4%.

I've been pushing with AK if re-raised, and calling all-in with AKs/TT+ and going for the coin flip at lvl1

theorectically, an roi of 16.4% = $36/hr if quad tabling and assuming each quad takes an hr.

But according to Aleo's SnG spreadsheet, I'm making $53/hr. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

what are your 9th and 10th place finishes, roi and $/hr?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Higher $/hr by going for coinflips @ Lvl1-> Your $/hr + #10 finish

I think this works much better at the lower buyins ... at the 100s you never seem to be in a coinflip with those hands unless you are against a real donk.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this works much better at the lower buyins ... at the 100s you never seem to be in a coinflip with those hands unless you are against a real donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that Ilya always talks abou this (increasing $ / hr this way), so I've recently started doing this as an expirement myself on the 11s and 22s.

The only problem is that the play is SO bad that I honestly don't know if it's to my advantage to take coinflips even as a slight favorite. Maybe it is in $ / hr terms (I have a very small sample size since I started doing this. Just under 100 games.)

But I really hate the variance. One good thing is that I'm getting a sick # of 1sts as opposed to before. In 20 games the other day, I only had 8 ITMs, but my distribution was 5 firsts and 3 thirds.

I really am interested to see how this goes myself...
Old 08-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Higher $/hr by going for coinflips @ Lvl1-> Your $/hr + #10 finishes?

[ QUOTE ]
lorinda says she goes for coin flips at lvl1. If she hits, her chances of ITM improve significantly. if she loses, then she'll just start a new game. she says her $/hr is higher with this method.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have claimed I thought the $/hr would be higher, and have mentioned it as an option. I've often been in the position where I've prefered to take the ROI over hourly rate due to bankroll considerations.
I don't believe I have provided proof, although I would be very interested in seeing some.

Lori
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM

my main concern is the rake
Old 08-10-2005, 10:03 PM

whoops.. meant Ilya, not Lori [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

no wonder why i couldnt find that post that had the math [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

newt- Ilya's calcs included the rake, and it still came ahead. btw, how r u doing in the 100's?

edit: i still cant find that frigging math post
Old 08-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Higher $/hr by going for coinflips @ Lvl1-> Your $/hr + #10 finishes?

I think you make this post once a month.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whoops.. meant Ilya, not Lori [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

no wonder why i couldnt find that post that had the math [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

newt- Ilya's calcs included the rake, and it still came ahead. btw, how r u doing in the 100's?

edit: i still cant find that frigging math post

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no....I am putting on my flame-retardant suit. Thanks a bunch, AA! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Default re: ilya\'s higher $/hr coinflip math

ah... here it is:

Coinflip math
Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 AM

Interesting post, but there are a couple of things that I think need to be considered:
-he used a value of 1.9 for doubling up, ICM puts it at 1.844
-assuming a 20% ROI is fine for someone who's easily beating the lower limits, but there aren't many that this would apply to in the $55s+
-This doesn't apply very well to flipping coins with AK specifically because AK is an underdog against pockets. AK against 88-QQ wins 43.8% and AKs wins 46.6%.