Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Theory Question

Can someone talk to the advantages of cold calling with small pp in postition against a EP Or MP openraise? I don't do it and I'm not sure of the theoretical underpinnings. I can extrapolate that an EP raise is 65/35 against having a pair and with position you can extract the most on good boards and lose the least. But it seems a bit iffy to me.

Krishan
Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Theory Question

How small is the pocket pair? How aggressive is the pre-flop raiser? How tight are the blinds? Are you on the button? Are there any other cold-callers?
Sure, if the raiser doesn't have a pair that beats you, he is 65-35 against flopping a pair that beats you. But you cannot extract the most against a tight aggressive raiser, because you will always be scared of the overpair, and he will make you scared by playing his overcards aggressively some of the time.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How small is the pocket pair? How aggressive is the pre-flop raiser? How tight are the blinds? Are you on the button? Are there any other cold-callers?
Sure, if the raiser doesn't have a pair that beats you, he is 65-35 against flopping a pair that beats you. But you cannot extract the most against a tight aggressive raiser, because you will always be scared of the overpair, and he will make you scared by playing his overcards aggressively some of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't make this play so I don't know what is required to make it. Hopefully people who do can elaborate.

Krishan
Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 PM

who DOES make this play?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 PM

I do not cold call pocket pairs unless there are other cold-callers and it feels like a party. I raise or I fold depending on the answers to the questions I asked above.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone talk to the advantages of cold calling with small pp in postition against a EP Or MP openraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were any, I would be talking about them right here...

-Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who DOES make this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear I've seen someone I respected do this. It's not a part of my game and it doesn't make sense to me so I started this thread. It doesn't look like I'll be adding it.

Krishan
Old 04-28-2005, 04:28 PM

i don't do it. i think you need to 3bet and isolate, or sit out.

if you are coldcalling lowish to medium pairs, shouldn't you be doing it when you got proper odds to hit a set only?

If you are in CO and MP open-raises, meaning UTG is already out, you would have to have a crystal ball like read on the table that every one behind you was coming along with you without them reraising... (assuming this is at a 6 handed table). I don't think you can do that very often, if ever.

i suppose some floaters are out there with a different view, but i wouldnt trust a fart.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:36 PM

My skirt's too tight to 3-bet with 44 or 33 or 22 on the button after a UTG open-raise and no coldcallers. I might 3-bet 55+, but this is a case of being way behind or a coin flip, and while there's maybe some dead money, maybe there's not if the BB is really loose. The blinds *are* allowed to have good hands, remember. With super-loose blinds I just call and pray for settage.

CO open-raise, I'll gamble a little more.