Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 04:31 PM

Default QQ, Re-raised then a cold call???Help??

I pick up QQ in the cutoff. One limper in front. Blinds 10/20, in this $33 tourney on Partypoker. I have 1120 chips. I raise to 80. The button folds and the SB raises to 300. He has 500 left. I am getting ready to push it when the BB cold calls the 300. The limper in front of me folds and its back to me. 220 back to me? What do I do? The cold caller threw me off big time.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: QQ, Re-raised then a cold call???Help??

pooooooossssshhhhhhhh. BB hoping to play shorty for all his chips but not wise enough to isolate. maybe he has a monster, but only hands i'm behind would likely reraise.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Git 'em in there.

All you're worried about is AA and KK. If the BB's got them, well, Merry Christmas, but I think the vast majority of the time he'd re-raise just out of sheer excitement.

FWIW, I imagine it's happy coinflip time.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:37 PM

Well let's say the original poster plays bad and freaks out and just calls, because the cold caller has 2000 chips. And the flop is suited in hearts,

K J 2, I have Q diamonds Q spades.

SB re-raiser checks, BB cold caller checks. Hero???
Old 12-09-2005, 05:04 PM

check, spike the Qc. otherwise you're done with the hand.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:43 PM

I didnt see any mention of the CC's stack. Pretty important wouldnt you say?

Early in tourn. There can be good points for pushing and not pushing. You can get a fair amount of chips pushing and getting called and winning this hand...but not enough to win the tournament so how important is having 3k now?

You can flat call and muck to an A high flop with a bet losing only 300. Tougher decision with a K high flop. You can shove to any flop Q high or lower. I actually prefer this play many times. I'd rather slowly build early than bust out a much higher % of times this early. If it's a rebuy...then easy push preflop...go for it and be willing to make the rebuy.

I've seen these spots too many times....2 things that I have carefully reviewed in these situations.

A raggedy flop hits and I have no chips with which to shove that makes the others fold since we went all-in preflop...then BAM! here comes the K and he had KQs!! The other is when I could have closed the action just calling, and shoved instead. Then the flop came AAK!! 90% I'm sunk and I coulda gotten away from this sooooo easy.

The stack sizes just arent big enuf to make anyone fold to your shove in this spot which leaves you no options post flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM

All-in.

I think that a Call is as good as a push pre-flop.

Post-flop, AA with the a of heart could check, Same with AK, but verything else will fold. PUSH.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 PM

I should make a CoEd Naked MTT shirt.

"Just stick it in"

P.S. I fully reallize that there might be posters who are too young to remember this T-Shirt phenomenon and that makes me very very sad because I am not old.