Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Tournament question

PokerStars NLHE freeroll tourney. We are down to about 310 people out of 1000 starting. I have around T3100, the average stack is T4600-4700. I am on the button, the game has generally been pretty loose and passive. The blinds are 75-150. Both relevant players have me covered by a lot, in fact I think I am 8th at the table.

I am dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. EP limps, MP limps, I limp. The blinds have been behaving so I am not expecting a raise. SB completes and BB checks. First question: Does anyone dump this hand here? My thoughts are that I have position, I can limp in, and there is little chance of a blind raise.

The flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Top pair, with a decent kicker, and a gutshot. The blinds check, EP bets T00, MP raises to T200. Decision time for me. The way I see it, I have two options, fold or push in. Anyone disagree with that?

This would be a pretty boring post if I had folded. Both blinds fold, both other players call quickly (uh-oh). It turns out I am up against EP's Q-8 and MP's 10-8, no hearts. The turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], which gives me 20! outs. Unfortunately, the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is not one of them, and I am out.

I was kicking myself at the time for being hasty, but after reconsidering, I do not think it was horrible to push in. I had been playing very tight (my normal style plus a complete lack of cards) and thought there was a good chance I could win the pot right there. If I got called, I thought I had a good enough hand to gamble with. I was not down to my last, but I thought I needed to make something happen soon.

As it turns out, according to twodimes, I had a 32.9% chance after the flop, and my bet was about 30.7% of the pot. I might be confused about odds, but it is positive EV if your chance of winning is higher than the amount of money you put in the pot, right? Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this, or if I was wrong on my play.