Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Default I decide to trust my read

On my way down to AC this weekend I decided I was going to play solid poker but trust my reads and go with them.

On Friday night, I was in a good 10/20 game at the Trop. My opponent in this hand is a long time AC regular. I first played against him 6 or 7 years ago at the Taj. I would decribe him as loose aggressive, but he is a thinking player who is capable of laying down a hand. Earlier in the session he folded pocket Aces face-up when he was raised by a passive player (a pair of tens were on the board).

I had barely played a hand for the whole time that he was at the table.

There were two limpers and then my opponent limped in in middle position, there were two more limpers and I limped on the button with 76o (I don't want to discuss this limp). I don't remember whether the small blind called or not (I'm sure he'll read this and might tell us), the bb checked.

The flop was 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everyone checked to me and I bet, they all folded to the AC regular and he check-raised. Everyone folded to me and I called. Heads-up.

The turn was the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My opponent bet, I thought for a few seconds and raised, he immediately 3 bet, I thought and called.

The river was a Queen (non-heart)

He checked and I checked.

I'll give you my thought process later. My question is, what was my read and given that did I play the hand correctly?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: I decide to trust my read

First off, why bet the flop? With 7 bets in the pot, everyone checking to you, what do you expect to accomplish with a bet here? A flush draw is calling, a pocket pair is calling, A-high is probably calling. Your play would basically scream weakness to me.

That said, you did bet, so you should recognize that you made a weak play and that a good player (like the villian) would recognize that, as it appears he did. When he raises you have only 1 option in my mind--reraise. Your table image is that of a tight player, so make him give you a somewhat cheaper turn card. If you put him on having anything at all and not just making a play, then it probably isn't something all that amazing. I think the reraise here is a nice semi-bluff since you have OESD and a couple of overcards to a possible A5.

I am guessing you thought he was trying to pull a move on you and decided you would pull one on him on the turn. As I've said, I would have set him up on the flop instead, but regardless I don't think I would call the reraise bet unless I was SURE he had A-high and that my outs were good.

The river I think you should bet. If he was trying to pull a move, he will probably give up on it here, thinking he couldn't get you off the hand and his A-high is no good. The pot is big enough to warrant a meak steal attempt. Only the most aggressive players would try for a 2nd check-raise on a pure bluff though.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, why bet the flop?...Your play would basically scream weakness to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you argue to check the flop in order to feign strength?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 PM

I am suggesting that if you check the flop, you're getting infinite odds to hit your hand. Betting the flop lets an opponent cut down those odds with a check-raise. If you check and hit your hand, you'll likely get paid off much more than trying to semi-bluff with a bet on the flop.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am suggesting that if you check the flop, you're getting infinite odds to hit your hand. Betting the flop lets an opponent cut down those odds with a check-raise. If you check and hit your hand, you'll likely get paid off much more than trying to semi-bluff with a bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about those times when you clean up your non-straight outs by thining the field. you also may even win with a continuation bet on the turn with nothing. flop is an autobet against almost all kinds of opponents here.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about those times when you clean up your non-straight outs by thining the field. you also may even win with a continuation bet on the turn with nothing. flop is an autobet against almost all kinds of opponents here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I bet, I don't think the initial flop bet is worth much discussion. It is clearly correct.

He does make a good point about 3-betting the flop.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is clearly correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would phrase it more along the lines that it's fine rather than clearly correct. You have like 7 opponents here...a flop bet is not going to take it down pretty much ever so the semi-bluff aspect is shot. And the chance of being checkraised by someone in the blinds is somewhat high. I think betting is fine, but I think checking is ok too. Against 3 or 4 opponents, I like the bet better.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM

No, I really think it is clearly correct. Cleaning up your pair outs makes a big difference.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 PM

OK, my bet was to fold some overcards and maybe get a free card on the turn. I just meant that there are valid reasons to bet.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:06 PM

well, trying to make a play on the turn, getting three-bet, is not the best way to go down. but i guess you have to do it here. this is why sometimes i don't trust my reads, especially in b+m settings where people are watching.