Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2003, 07:35 PM

Default NLHE small bluff bet

1-2-2. My stack is about $1000, which is a pretty big stack at the time.

Opened for 5 and a couple of callers. I call on the button w/ 5h6h. Ends up 6-way action for $5 each.

Flop 8h 9c Qs

$30 in the pot. Poor EP player who likes to take stabs at pots w/ any piece bets $30. He has a stack of over $500. Folded to CO ($1200), who is a calling station when he has very little or nothing, but is very aggressive w/ TPTK or better and big draws. CO calls. I'm 100% positive that neither of these guys has flopped the nuts w/ JT. I'm also very sure that I can get at least one and maybe two pot-sized calls if I hit a seven. I make what I think is a very questionable call.

Turn (8h 9c Qs) Th

$120 pot. EP checks. CO studies the board and checks. I bet $40. EP insta-folds. CO contemplates for a bit, then folds.

Any thoughts on this silly little underbet?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: NLHE small bluff bet

Hmm... I don't like the flop call if your only plan is to win a big pot with a 7 (you realize of course that even if no one has JT you can still lose to T6 if you hit), mainly because the money is only barely deep enough in one place and not much deeper in the other, so you really need to get the money in a high percentage of the time. However, if, as I expect, a big part of the play is simply to steal on the turn, then it could be correct to call with 2 blank cards.

I love your turn bet. I'm such a fan of picking up medium pots with bets like this. The only real problem is that if you do this too much then you'll have to start underbetting with real hands too. I worry that 1/3 pot may be pushing things too far, but as long as this bet is not part of an established pattern (especially if these players are mostly new to you), then I think it's great.

P.S. Where is this 1-2-2 game you're always posting about?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if, as I expect, a big part of the play is simply to steal on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that was definitely part of the plan.

[ QUOTE ]
The only real problem is that if you do this too much then you'll have to start underbetting with real hands too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll occassionally underbet w/ a real hand on a pretty scary board when I think opponents will have a tough time calling. And sometimes I'll do it with the nuts against overaggressive opponents who I know will come over the top.

[ QUOTE ]
I worry that 1/3 pot may be pushing things too far, but as long as this bet is not part of an established pattern (especially if these players are mostly new to you), then I think it's great.

[/ QUOTE ]
The two players involved in the hand didn't have much experience w/ me. As for the amount of the bet, I pretty much randomly picked an amount between $40-80. No real rhyme or reason there, but I was pretty sure they would read a bet in that range as most likely being a Jack. Against unthinking dummies, I'd be more likely to make a standard pot bet when checked to here.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Where is this 1-2-2 game you're always posting about?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Palace in Hayward, CA. www.palacecardclub.com
Old 08-04-2003, 11:00 PM

Ulysses,

I liked the move. The small bet smells like a huge hand.

Perhaps you learned something from that fellow Keith you speak of. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Michael