Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Standard call down?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (6.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Standard call down?

I raise either the turn or the flop. I would go for flop here, as you wouldn't want to pay a ton on the big streets if he plays back with his ace.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise either the turn or the flop. I would go for flop here, as you wouldn't want to pay a ton on the big streets if he plays back with his ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why are we raising? Just because we're tags?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:34 AM

looks pretty good to me - be sure to make a note on him for what he did this with
Old 11-19-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But why are we raising? Just because we're tags?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise because first of all, CO may be stupid and come along with a worse king. That doesn't happen all that often, but it does add a bunch of money to our bankrolls.

Also, BB may not be ahead of us. He could be betting with a pocket pair, or a worse king, but sometimes an ace. My main reason for raising is so that I can get to showdown paying less money. I raise the flop, bet the turn, and check the river UI, so I only pay 2 BB, rather than 2.5. You didn't give a read on BB, so if he is really agro, and won't usually check to us or resist from check raising, this play may not work. But against most opponents, I think we pay less money here, and maybe either remove CO from a draw, or get him to pad our pot by calling with a worse king (note: CO is not all that important to me here in my decision). If we raise on the flop, and get check raised on the turn, I think we can somewhat comfortably release. This may be wrong against really agro opponents, but against most people, I think we can release, and lose less money than calling down originally.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 AM

Don't you think you're discounting the amount of times we push him off a worse hand by playing aggressivly? Including our CO here.

Why give him an opportunity to fold?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Another problem with your line is implied odds if we improve. Our outs are probably good, so hitting a K/Q but playing back at him may cause them to fold, or not bet into us allowing to raise.

Also, raising the flop = 3-bet from an ace, and worse, sometimes a king.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think you're discounting the amount of times we push him off a worse hand by playing aggressivly? Including our CO here.

Why give him an opportunity to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a worse hand, I think he gives up trying to bluff too often because of the A and K. Meanwhile, if he has a worse king, he calls us down way too often. And if he has the ace, well I already said I think we would be paying less against the Ace when we were behind.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:42 AM

Raise the flop. You can get guy behind you out and take a free turn. (or bet when you improve)

Makes getting to SD cheaper.

blake