Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 AM

Default QQ difficult situation

I feel this hand could be played in a few different ways, what do you think of my line? Suggestions?

Villain's (BB) stats: VPIP: 11.21 PFR: 6.03 Agg. factor:2.13 after 116 hands.
SB's stats: VPIP: 23.33 PFR:13.3 Agg factor: 1.67 after 30 hands

My reads were pretty much limited to their stats as I was multi tabling and hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary from either player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB :#A500AF(villain)/ 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB :#A500AF(villain)/ calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (28 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, villain calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, villain calls.

River: (26 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, villain calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB
Old 07-19-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: QQ difficult situation

Nice catch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] A guy with those stats 3-betting out of the big blind and waiting for the turn to raise puts you in a bad spot and folding is probably correct. Not to mention sb being no dummby either.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:26 AM

Waiting until the turn to raise is fine. However, when villian raises the turn in front of you, I'm inclined to think you're drawing to 2 outs, and should therefore fold.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 AM

hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'll explain my reasoning behind the line I took. Firstly, I think the pot is way too big to even consider folding and therefore it's more of question of whether I should raise and on what street.

My reason behind the turn reraise was to isolate the BB and hopefully make any two pair draws and possible gut shots fold incorrectly. I felt I would win the pot more often heads up and thus felt it was the play with greater expectation.

I think there was a possiblity villain had an AKs and took a shot at a giant pot, and quite possibly a JJ. Had he capped preflop I think going into call down mode may have been more suitable, and possibly even a fold.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 AM

Dont wait for hte turn, the pots too big. Exploit your equity while its at its highest. An ace/king on the turn will kill your equity.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM

I held off raising the flop because I thought it would be ineffective at protecting my hand. Had I raised the flop the pot would be around 20BB on the turn, allowing any sort of draw the correct odds to play on for 1 BB.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:15 PM

But you have no interest in protecting your hand. In most scenarios, you have the best hand, and want to get as much money in as possible on the flop against overcards, which also allows you to feel out BB's hand.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I held off raising the flop because I thought it would be ineffective at protecting my hand. Had I raised the flop the pot would be around 20BB on the turn, allowing any sort of draw the correct odds to play on for 1 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you could protect, either by betting or by not betting. The thing here is you have a lot of pot equity on the flop and since you can't protect, and since except for another Queen you don't have much in the way of redraws, you want to get bets in NOW to build the pot, in hopes you can hold off the mob that'll be chasing on the turn and river. Nice catch on that Queen!

bc
Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you can't protect your hand, so go for the value.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 AM

hey guys,

I appreciate all the responses. I'm a little surprised at all the flop raise suggestions, as my main concern with the hand was reraising the turn. I thought the flop call was a textbook play.

Having recently reread SSH, I think this situation is very similar to the example found on pg. 163, which covers protecting in extremely large pots. This situation is almost identical in that:
Ø The pot is extremely large and cannot be protected by a flop raise,
Ø The bettor is on my right - meaning it is highly likely I will be able to raise the turn.

I agree had there been no way to protect my hand a raise on the flop would be more suitable, due to the equity edge. Though, for this situation to occur a bet generally has to come from your immediate left and the majority of players have to be committed to the pot. This wasn't the case as the turn raise meant players had to face the prospect of calling 3 BB cold.

That's my thoughts on the flop line; I'd like to know your opinions on the turn play, as that was the cause of my initial confusion.