Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 AM

Default AA in middle postion....how terrible is this play?

The game is a typical loose agressive $200 NL game at Hollywood Park with blinds of $3 and $5. Almost every hand is raised with lots of callers. I have a decent read on most of the players. I am in middle position with AA($210). UTG folds, UTG+1 limps($700), I raise to $20, MP+1 calls($200), MP+2 calls($300), CO calls($600), button calls ($1800) and UTG+1 calls. 6 players to the flop! Pot is $128. The flop is 347 rainbow. UTG+1 leads at the pot for $25!This is a strange bet that throws me off. My read on him is that he is a conservative player who only bets when he has a piece of it. This is where I feel I butchered this hand. When I start to put him on a range of hands I have to eliminate JJ, QQ, KK, or AA.....obviously he would have re-raised pre-flop. Would he make this small blocking bet with a medium pair(88,99,10's?)If he called with 55 or 66 he has a pair with a gutshot, he might make this type of play. With only $190 left and the pot containing $153 and so many players behind me I move in...figuring one of the loose players behind me has some type of straight draw. Everyone folds to UTG+1 who calls with a set of 3's. How terrible was my play? I feel I didn't trust my read on the player and I should have lost $20 in the hand. All feed back is welcome
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: AA in middle postion....how terrible is this play?

If it was typical for 5 people to call a raise to $20, I'd raise more, maybe to $30 or $40 to try and get heads up. Aces rarely hold up against that many people without improvement.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM

A slightly larger preflop raise? Anyway, With your relatively shallow stack, there is very very little you can do to escape this after flop.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 AM

I agree..I gave the table too much credit. I hadn't played a hand in over an hour and wanted decent action. I actually felt with so many LAG players behind me someone would play back at me with hands like AK,AQ,KQ and even A 10.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM

u don't think 33 would still call that raise?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM

With the size of that pot, and the small lead out bet - I'm hard pressed to see how you would only lose $20 in this pot. I think at the very least you need to raise this character to MINIMALLY $50 (but then that's week, because it's only 1/3 of the pot.) If you have a lot of loose calling action at the table, then there's nothing wrong with pumping it preflop to get your money's worth on the AA. I'd suggest $30 - if you're still getting a ton of calls then, maybe try $35 or $40. Hopefully then you can at least get it one or two way. Like said earlier - it's very hard to play AA in a pot w/ 5 people.