Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM

Default SSNL Starting Hands for 10-max Cash Game

I am not quite getting the profit margin that many speak about here, so I am slowly patching holes in my game.

I suspect many of the holes are post-flop, but I want to make sure my pre-flop game does not have any substantial problems.

On a 10-max SSNL cash game, my pre-flop strategy against those I do not have an extraodinary read on is as following. Please evaluate this for me and let me know about any glaring problems!

<ul type="square"> AA/KK
[*]Early
First in/limpers: Limp if sure of raise, else bet to limit field (4xBB)
All-in to any Re-raise where my re-raise is 50% or more of my stack, else 2x previous raise.
Call any all-in
Raised pot: Re-raise All-in where my re-raise is 50% or more of my stack, else 2x previous raise.
Call any all-in"
[*]All other positions
First in: Bet to limit field (4xBB)
All-in to any Re-raise where my re-raise is 50% or more of my stack, else 2x previous raise.
Call any all-in
Raised pot: Re-raise All-in where my re-raise is 50% or more of my stack, else 2x previous raise.
Call any all-in"
[/list]
<ul type="square"> QQ
[*]All Positions
First in/limpers: Bet to limit field (4xBB)
Call any raise &lt; 50% stack EXCEPT from an early position limper, in this case think about folding.
Call all-in only from maniacs/fish
Raised pot: Re-raise any small raise
Call any Raise &lt;50% stack
Call all-in only from maniacs/fish
[/list]<ul type="square"> JJ / TT / AKs / AQs
[*]Early
First in/limpers: Limp if passive table, else fold
Raised pot: fold
[*]Middle
Call only small re-raises.
Raised pot: Call small raise (loose)
Reraise 2xraise (tight)
Fold to any all-in
(Except to a maniacs, then consider the pairs)
[*]Late
On occasion (10% of time), re-raise a mid to late raise to throw off reads.
Reraise 2xraise (tight)
Fold to any all-in
[*]SB/BB
First in/limpers: Limp; out of position all following rounds.
Raised pot: Call any small raise
Fold to any all-in (Except to a maniac, then consider pairs)
[/list]<ul type="square"> AKo / AQo / KQs / KJs
[*]Early
First in/limpers: Limp
Raised pot: Call any small raise, fold to any all-in
[*]Middle/Late
First in: Bet (4xBB)
Limpers before: Also limp.
Fold to any all-in
[*]SB/BB
Fold to any all-in (Except to a maniac, then consider pairs)[/list]<ul type="square"> JJ / TT / AKs / AQs
[*]Early
First in/limpers: Limp if passive table, else fold
Raised pot: fold
[*]Middle
Reraise 2xraise (tight)
Fold to any all-in
[*]Late
On occasion (10% of time), re-raise a mid to late raise to throw off reads.
Reraise 2xraise (tight)
Fold to any all-in
[*]SB/BB
Fold to any all-in (Except to a maniac, then consider pairs)
[/list]<ul type="square"> 99-22 / Suited Connectors QJs to 65s
[*]Early/Middle
First in/limpers: Limp if passive table, else fold.
[*]Late
First in: Limp
Call only small raises behind if 4 or more in pot.
Raised pot: Call any small raise if 4 or more in pot. Fold to any all-in
[*]SB/BB
First in/limpers: Limp in BB, only complete pairs in SB, except to small raise with multiple callers.
Raised pot: Fold, except to small raise with multiple callers.[/list]
Thanks for evaluating this for me!
Mike L.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: SSNL Starting Hands for 10-max Cash Game

Ouch, do not fold JJ TT AKs in a raised pot in early position. Play JJ and TT for set equity (when the odds warrant it) and call AKs most of the time if the raise is reasonable.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:41 PM

also dont call raises with KQ or KJ, suited or not. even if they are "small."
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[/LIST]<ul type="square"> 99-22 / Suited Connectors QJs to 65s
[*]Early/Middle
First in/limpers: Limp if passive table, else fold.
[*]Late
First in: Limp
Call only small raises behind if 4 or more in pot.
Raised pot: Call any small raise if 4 or more in pot. Fold to any all-in
[*]SB/BB
First in/limpers: Limp in BB, only complete pairs in SB, except to small raise with multiple callers.
Raised pot: Fold, except to small raise with multiple callers.[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp those small pairs all the time, try and see a flop to spike your set, call small raises (less than 10% of stack).

Do not play suited connectors early. These hands are CO/button hands.

Obviously that's not a complete review, but some things I thought needed attention right away.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:30 PM

"JJ / TT / AKs / AQs
First in/limpers: Limp if passive table, else fold"

Are you kidding me? If you ever fold any of these hands with no raise in a cash game, I think you are crazy/likely giving away the best hand. While position is very very important, there is no way early position justifies folding these hands with no raise, no matter how aggressive the table is.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM

I found myself saying "it depends" in response to many of your standard moves. But here are a couple of my general thoughts:

(1) Amount of pre-flop raise. If you are uncomfortable varying it based on the content of your hand (which is fine), you need to at least vary it based on the number of limpers ahead of you. If you truly want to limit the field (which is not necessarily the case), you need to add approximately one more BB to your raise per limper.

(2) You need to be pretty certain that there will be a raise behind you if you are going to limp in with AA/KK as a rule. My default is a standard raise with the possibility of a limp on a very aggressive table.

(3) QQ - I am not sure what you are saying about a raise from an EP limper. If you are talking about a significant reraise from an EP limper, then a fold should be considered. Otherwise, from an average or unknown player in any position, I would at least call a raise with QQ and possibly reraise.

(4) JJ/TT/AKs/AQs - I never fold these hands from EP. I mix up raising with limping. I consider folding these hands to a reraise from a rock or if there is more than one reraise. I also am far more willing to fold AQs to aggression than I am willing to fold the other hands listed.

(5) AKo/AQo/KJs/KQs - Mix limping with raising when first in the pot. I fold all but AKo when there is significant aggression from a player (or players) I respect.

(6) Small pairs (22-99) - always limp with an occassional raise when first in. If the table is very aggressive (75% or more of the pots are raised preflop), I might fold the smallest pairs (22, 33, 44) from UTG and UTG+1. Call any small raise that is less than 10% of your stack and less than 10% of the raiser's stack.

(7) Suited connectors - don't play them early. Limp with them late and possibly call a small raise in late position (very table and player dependent). At a passive table, occassionaly raise with these hands from CO or button.

My rules have become far less rigid. The more tightly you follow your rules (which many multitable players online do), the easier it is for me to put you on a hand.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Amount of pre-flop raise. If you are uncomfortable varying it based on the content of your hand (which is fine), you need to at least vary it based on the number of limpers ahead of you. If you truly want to limit the field (which is not necessarily the case), you need to add approximately one more BB to your raise per limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do this most of the time. I wish there was a way, online, to program your standard raise to make it easier to multi-table. Something like 4xBB + previous limps.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) You need to be pretty certain that there will be a raise behind you if you are going to limp in with AA/KK as a rule. My default is a standard raise with the possibility of a limp on a very aggressive table.

(3) QQ - I am not sure what you are saying about a raise from an EP limper. If you are talking about a significant reraise from an EP limper, then a fold should be considered. Otherwise, from an average or unknown player in any position, I would at least call an EP raise with QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

More often than not, on the tables I play (UB), a re-raise from an early position limper means BIG hand. It happens SO often that I should probably drop it from my strategy list.

[ QUOTE ]

(4) JJ/TT/AKs/AQs - I never fold these hands from EP. I mix up raising with limping. I consider folding these hands to a reraise from a rock or if there is more than one reraise. I also am far more willing to fold AQs to aggression than I am willing to fold the other hands listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the 2nd one to notice this flaw. I don't know why I haven't noticed it myself! I will correct this error in my play. I am glad I posted this, already.

[ QUOTE ]

(5) AKo/AQo/KJs/KQs - Mix limping with raising when first in the pot. I fold all but AKo when there is significant aggression from a player (or players) I respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not really sure I understand what you are suggesting, here.

[ QUOTE ]

(6) Small pairs (22-99) - always limp with an occassional raise when first in. If the table is very aggressive (75% or more of the pots are raised preflop), I might fold the smallest pairs (22, 33, 44) from UTG and UTG+1. Call any small raise that is less than 10% of your stack and less than 10% of the raiser's stack.

(7) Suited connectors - don't play them early. Limp with them late and possibly call a small raise in late position (very table and player dependent). At a passive table, occassionaly raise with these hands from CO or button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noted both of these strategy adjustments and will be making them.

[ QUOTE ]
My rules have become far less rigid. The more tightly you follow your rules (which many multitable players online do), the easier it is for me to put you on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly, I start "adjusting" my standard play when I get tired or tilted. Would you pick up on that nuance in play, also?

Thanks for your help!
Mike L.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:04 PM

These types of charts may be helpful for beginning players....in perfectly normal circumstances but as we all know poker is a game od "it depends" not of rigid norms, rubrics, or standards.

To become a very good poker player you will need more than PT, good opening hand selection, and a chart like this you have to be willing to take dozens of factors into account.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These types of charts may be helpful for beginning players....in perfectly normal circumstances but as we all know poker is a game od "it depends" not of rigid norms, rubrics, or standards.

To become a very good poker player you will need more than PT, good opening hand selection, and a chart like this you have to be willing to take dozens of factors into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, this is true. But one must stop the major bleeding before one considers plastic surgery.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, this is true. But one must stop the major bleeding before one considers plastic surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Which is why you should not fear applying somewhat of a preflop-system like you're doing to get your game down and ready. The adjusments needed can be gradually incorporated into your strategy so that you become more and more flexible, all the while being comfortable with your game.

These adjustments will come right in time with your progression. What I mean is, you don't need a whole lot of adjustments and variations when you play NL25, but as you move up in limits, the gradual adjustments you input will serve you better.