Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM

Default How many hands / month can higher-volume players handle??

I'm having major jaw surgery in a couple weeks which will sadly confine me to a bed for a few weeks afterward. So I'm planning on using it to play an absolutely disgusting amount of poker...might as well put a good spin on it...besides, I've always wondered just how many hands I could actually handle in a month...and because I really won't have anything else to do during that time by no fault of my own, this seems like a perfect opportunity to try it.

At my stakes, 15/30 and 20/40 usually, I don't typically play more than 3 to 5 tables...is it foolhardy to think that I might be able to get in 100,000 hands this month??? When I used to 8-table the 3/6, 3,000 hands / day was as easy a thing as there ever was...but i wonder whether I'll be able to tolerate 10 hours / day, 6 or 7 days a week (what i'll need to play, given my calcs) without burnout.
Any full-time players here want to chime in with what they average / month? (hands played, that is)
Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: How many hands / month can higher-volume players handle??

Have you ever done 100k before? It isn't pretty.

Nigel
Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 PM

I don't think you can play 100k hands in a month without doing permanent damage to yourself. If it's mindless, like 8 tabling low limit, that's one thing, but if you're playing 15/30 or 20/40 online you'll just go nuts. Unless you're willing to forego player reads and basically lose or win very small.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM

Don't use that time just to play poker. You'll get burned out and start to hate it, which will then make your days really suck. Play whatever you normally do, then use the rest of the day to learn stuff.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 PM

I once played a paltry 32K in one month and almost shot my dog. I can't imagine going for 100K.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 PM

Between 60-80K each month
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm aiming for 40k hands/month during the summer. In May, I just barely made it. In June, I ended up with about 32k. So far in July, I have about 15k. I just don't think I could bring myself to play 100k hands/month, but others may have much longer attention spans.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM

I play 30-40K every month. It's hard for me to make this number higher for now as multitabling is boring and can't play it 5 days a week and by playing lesser tables - it's harder to accomplish though i can play it way more.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Think of it this way. If it takes you 10 hours to play 3000 hands, 30 10hr days would be 90000 hands. Better count on 11 hour days for the full month, and don't worry about burnout. You can meet that goal then rest up, sounds like this is a short term experiment for you. If you were going to full-time it permanently, expect burnout somewhere around week 6 or 7. Too much of anything is not a good thing. Good luck, hope you meet your mark.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:15 PM

Peter,

How many tables are you playing these days? I noticed you playing a fair amount of short games, how is that working out for you?

Nigel