Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 AM

Default JJ.. scary turn card.

pretty loose passive game. around four players to every flop with little preflop raising. no reads on any players and this is the third hand i've been dealt. did i play too weak tight on the turn with a scary card? bad river bet just waiting to get checkraised or a good value bet?

$3/$6 on absolute.

I am on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

utg calls, two folds, co calls, I raise, blinds fold, utg calls, co calls.

*** FLOP *** 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

utg calls, co bets, I raise, utg folds, co calls.

*** TURN *** K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

co checks, i check.

*** RIVER *** 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

co checks, i bet, co calls.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: JJ.. scary turn card.

I think you should go with your loose-passive table read and bet-fold the turn.

I don't like that river card at all. But it's encouraging when Villain checks, and I like your river bet. (If Villain turned a flush or rivered trips, I'm thinking he quite likely would have led into you on the river after the turn got checked through.)

Edit: By the way, I don't really think the turn card is that scary. At the point when the action got to me, I'd be thinking Villain probably just had the same pair he had on the flop (maybe with a turned flush draw to go with it).
Old 10-28-2005, 05:58 AM

Granted the turn card is higher than your pair, but you can't automatically assume he's hit it. He could have Ts for all you know. I'm betting the turn here, if I get raised I'm probably done with the hand, depending on my read of the guy. If he calls I'm checking behind on the river. Also on that river I'm still checking behind. Correct me if this is wrong.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 AM

bet/fold the turn. IMO the river card is a lot uglier than the turn card, but probably deserves a bet/fold as well.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Granted the turn card is higher than your pair, but you can't automatically assume he's hit it. He could have Ts for all you know. I'm betting the turn here, if I get raised I'm probably done with the hand, depending on my read of the guy. If he calls I'm checking behind on the river. Also on that river I'm still checking behind. Correct me if this is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not taking into account that the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] completes a flush.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:07 AM

This is a tricky spot. I would bet on the turn to find out if I am up against Kings or a possible flush. If you check the turn, there is almost no way to get away from this hand
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM

CO limped into the hand, what's so scary about the K? Bet the turn.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:49 AM

I would bet the turn.

Hey lighterjobs what has happened to the mid limit games at the cherokee? I have been up on weekdays lately and all they have is 4/8. Do they ever get a 10/20 or 20/40 going anymore?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:41 PM

I definitely bet this turn. The K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is not a pleasant card to see, but generally speaking you are heads up at this point, and there's nothing about the hand so far that indicates that the turn card helped your opponent. On the other hand, a free card could spell really bad news for you. The river could bring another diamond or overcard. No reason to let your opponent draw out on you.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:30 PM

i bet the flop and fold to a check raise, also check through on this river.. theres overcards a flush and trips, i dont know how often you are ahead if he calls