Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 11:35 PM

Default So is fifth a fold?

No read on villain.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.60 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (2.30 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.30 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.30 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (6.30 BB)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: So is fifth a fold?

Yes, you have to fold this. If you somehow won then you just found yourself a new buddy.

Edit: Also bet 4th you will take this down most of the time.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:15 AM

why not double-bet on fourth? why not lead out on fifth? at some point in this hand, you should try to pick up the pot. who checks trips into another paired doorcard on fourth? (betting out and hoping to get to re-raise is the correct play) is the JJ any good at all?

you may have just let him take a pot that he was in no way entitled to, he could easily have AA, KK, QQ, TT, 99, TQ, QK, AK, AQ, etc in the hole. by showing a little aggression on fourth or fifth, you take away the chance that he'll try to steal it ffrom you, at least throw a SB at him on fourth!

all IMO.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 AM

I don't see how you don't bet 5th.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 08:13 AM

I think 3rd is a fold, given the dead 6 and 7. Checking 4th is fine with me - I think there’s some chance he’s just getting tricky with trips. Why else would he check?
I probably can’t help myself and bet 5th but given that he might have been trapping on 4th, checking isn’t a bad idea. Once you did check, you have to fold though. Who tries to bluff open trips?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:59 AM

i feel a lot better about folding if i lead out with the open trips and get raised. im not going to check fold. unless you guys have some history and this guy is super tricky good/stupid, i dont see him trying to bluff open trips, esp after you lead. if your thinking about folding i like that line a lot better. another small consideration if this is a regular game with the same players is the effect of folding such an obviously strong hand will have on your image, but if this was online its prob not a factor.
matty
Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM

I like betting fifth also. If you're called, you KNOW you're beat. Your opponent won't raise cause he very well could fear quads, or a boat, given that hero called a completion on 3rd.

Stream, start making these folds on 3rd.

PS. Roland's location sucks.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roland's location sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want me to fix it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It would never occur to me not to bet fifth.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM

I would argue that 3rd is a fold...many of your straight cards are dead.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would never occur to me not to bet fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was almost certain that the fourth street check meant trip jacks, and that he wanted me (and maybe others) to stay in the hand. I know there are other possible explanations for his check, but that was my working theory at the time. This is the only hand I can recall where I did not bet open trips like this, so it rarely occurs to me either.

So with that working theory, it came down to how confident I was in the read when fifth rolled around. By chosing to carry on, I was saying to myself that I did not fully believe my own read. I then fell back to playing the hand out as cheaply as possible, and hoping my read was wrong. At the time I was really unhappy with how I played this and still am. It just felt lame - I think I should have either folded after the fifth street bet, or bet out with the intention of folding if I got raised. That would feel more like playing the hand with a plan, rather than just being a passive passenger coming along for the ride, which is how I think I played it. Yuck.