Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Do I have to call this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (3 handed) converter

Button (t3717)
SB (t1943)
Hero (t2340)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, SB calls t500.

Flop: (t2000) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t943 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t943.

Turn: (t3886) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3886) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3886
Old 06-30-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Do I have to call this?

What buy-in was this? Any reads on SB?

This is a clear push/fold situation preflop. Without a read that SB might be limping a monster in hopes of trapping you I think this is a clear push. There are 1000 chips in the pot, any bet you make commits you to the pot, and you're in the money with freakin' QQ! You're only really behind AA/KK, a coinflip with AK and well ahead of everything else. Time to gamble for first.

Failing that, I think your raise commits you. I can see folding because the A hit, but I'd have to wonder if he's playing a J.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Yes and you deserve it for min betting.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:26 PM

Never ever ever get yourself into this situation. Push preflop and be done with it. And yes, you have to call here.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:35 PM

no, but you certainly have to push it preflop.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Obviously I tried to get fancy preflop with the minraise...that won't happen again. I have just started playing sng's after primarily being a MTT player.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What buy-in was this? Any reads on SB?

This is a clear push/fold situation preflop. Without a read that SB might be limping a monster in hopes of trapping you I think this is a clear push. There are 1000 chips in the pot, any bet you make commits you to the pot, and you're in the money with freakin' QQ! You're only really behind AA/KK, a coinflip with AK and well ahead of everything else. Time to gamble for first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. If you want to "gamble for first", you min-raise and get this donk to pot-commit himself. Pushing is hardly a gamble. It's the safe play.

I play it the same way as the OP. If he has Ax, you lose, but you would've lost if you pushed preflop so that doesn't matter. The min-raise extracts a lot more from some crappy hands that he would've folded to a push.

You are in the money, so it's time to stop with the "fold equity is golden" bs, and start stacking these guys.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:08 PM

Do you push PF if you have been pushing a lot, shown down some crap, and they are calling you an idiot in chat?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:29 PM

I agree with the majority here. I don't like the minraise, since it commits both of you to this pot. If you're going to raise, might as well do it for all the chips.

If you're thinking about laying it down on the flop to an overcard, why'd you raise to begin with? Seems weak in this situation, his complete/call means you're likely up against an A, but I could see him playing KJ-JT this way as well.

I'd prefer a push from either of you preflop to the way this went down tho.

Drink More,
RedRum
Old 06-30-2005, 03:54 PM

Yup, you do. And push preflop, because I want them to see QQ as well as 87s.