Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Default uggh...all that work to build my stack to give it away. Please flame!

PR 40K.

The first 3 hours, I am playing good poker. I am switching gears, and taking advantage of my numerous notes on players.
I am even trying to incorporate everything I have learned this week reading old posts of the big winners here. Especially taking a card off on the flop instead of blind aggression in the right spot.

That is until....

I am finished my self imposed 2 orbit 'tight play'. I have 22k in chips, 1.5 times the average, and we are under 130 remaining, 80 pay.

The table has been tightening up, and EP raises are getting a ton of respect. I open for 3X BB, with A7s, from UG+1. Folded to BB who calls. Flop is KQJ rainbow. I take the free card on the flop, trying to sniff out his slow play, and hoping for that magic T. Turn, K. Now, I figure, he will bet with the straight or QJ, hoping to take the pot (which is as large as his stack at apx 4k). He checks. I hope he is playing a PP, and I bet 3K. He quickly pushes. I fold to avoid having to show down my mediocre hand. He turns up ATs.

OK, I lost, but Im not terribly unhappy with my play.

Next orbit, I am down to 13K, after limping with A9s into a multiway pot. QTd on button, 3 big stack limpers, who have shown down JT type hands after limping. I take the odds and call.

Flop AAT. Checked to me, and I temporarily lose my mind.
I bet 4K into a 5K pot. Folded to MP who calls. Now, I thought I had a good read on this player. He had made a few 'keep you honest' type calls when someone bets from the button. Once showing down 99, with 2 OCs flopped. Once laying down to a big turn bet. So I think there is a pretty good chance he doesnt have an Ace.

Turn T. He checks.

Now I am either golden, or dead. His weak ace is now the nuts, but anything else I win. So I decide, that I want to take the hand all the way. Almost 14K in the pot, if I fold I will have 9K with the blinds about to move up from 500/1000. (Dont really know why I made this decision). I check knowing I am pushing the river, but hoping to induce a bluff.

He bets 6K, I push, he calls with A2o. Yuck!

Im not sure how I could have played that hand worse. Oh well. Who needs 10 grand anyway.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: uggh...all that work to build my stack to give it away. Please flame!

[ QUOTE ]
A7s

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold PF (if you're gonna steal and then not get away from hands, raise 92o instead.) I'm done on the flop, done on the turn and done again on the river because that is the worst possible board for you and a turn bet after a flop check looks fishy anyhow.

[ QUOTE ]
QTd...I check knowing I am pushing the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Setting aside the rest of your play, you push the river to his 'bluff' because...
Old 04-16-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: uggh...all that work to build my stack to give it away. Please flame!

ummmm....b/c Im not very good at poker.

I see your point. If he is bluffing, he isnt calling. Wow. This is one of those posts, where I read i read it and think. How the hell did THAT guy get that far.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:47 AM

"I hope he is playing a PP, and I bet 3K." This kind of thinking will lose you money.

On the first hand your turn bet is a very poor play. This is a very dangerous board and the BB can call PF with a wide range of hands that will hit this flop hard.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:54 AM

of course you are right. But I had this player as weak-tight, and I thought it was close to 50/50 that he would lay down.

On the flop, I think my assumption was correct that he would lead out with many of these hands. The pot was equal to his stack, I didnt think he would want to risk the straight draw if he had 2p, AK, etc.

It wasnt a good play, but I'm not sure it was as horrible as you think. please elaborate. I obviously need help right now
Old 04-16-2005, 01:53 AM

whenever I am upset with how I played, nothing cheers me up like getting a little too drunk and crushing the 3-table SNGs on party. It is the perfect game for a player like me who cant decide if he wants to be Gigabet or MLG when he grows up.

Why dont I play them all the time, you ask. B/c I hate money as my play tonight shows. I only play for the railbird virtual groupies