Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 08:03 PM

Default AKs against an unknown top holding

Hello, this is my first hand post.

No reads on the button, assume a typical loose/passive micro-limit player.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

I just called preflop to encourage action but didn't get much apart from the button's raise. I was out of position and suspicious of a wired pair; I just bet out the flop to see if he was up for it, however there was no counter-aggression. I guess an aggressive opponent would have tried to protect his hand with a raise on the ragged flop.

If I had checked the flop, the button would probably have bet with any holding worth a preflop raise, therefore putting me in the defensive.

I think betting the river with ace-high was not a good idea, compared to a check/call.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: AKs against an unknown top holding

Raise/cap pf.

Check/call river.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the rest of the table? Why would you give anyone cheap looks at the flop with the likely best hand? Raise. Every time. You might be able to incorporate this play later on in your career - don't do it yet.

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the river with ace-high was not a good idea, compared to a check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? What range of hands do you put villain on? You said previously that we were to assume that button is loose/passive. What hands will button bet the river with?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? What range of hands do you put villain on? You said previously that we were to assume that button is loose/passive. What hands will button bet the river with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed the villain to have a hand like 99-QQ, AT, QJ, KQ. With all of these I suppose the villain would have raised preflop. With 99-QQ and AT he would have likely bet the river had I checked. Against 99-QQ and AT I would have lost, and won only if he had QJ or KQ. As he dragged along to the river, I had to assume he had at least one pair, which is why I think check/call on the river would have been better.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When you assume, you make an...never mind.

[ QUOTE ]
I just called preflop to encourage action

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad players frequently "encourage action." You will know who those players are by how often they mention their pocket aces get cracked.

[ QUOTE ]
I was out of position and suspicious of a wired pair; I just bet out the flop to see if he was up for it, however there was no counter-aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]
With no read, there's no reason to be suspicious of a pair at all, BUT your limp-reraise probably has him thinking you've maybe got AA-KK, and I see only a lower pair calling down against that most of the time. With one limper preflop, Button could have raised a lot of hands, including some that might have paired on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Without a read, yes, check/call will probably save you money.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 AM

I don't want to sound too mean, but I love it when people lose when they lrr. It makes me so happy when I see it. I can't think of a time in a full ring ssh game where this is correct. You don't need to encourage action. The "action" is already there at .5/1.

The hand plays completely differently if you raise pf.